Cannibal Broody Hen

2102Simm

Songster
Sep 29, 2019
Moneta, VA
Welcome back to today's episode of The Young and Clucking... Last season saw Bitchena dealing with psychotic behaviors and postpartum broodiness over loss of her clutch and Bielle is simply one of a trio who no one ever rembers.
Today we find our leading ladies Bitchena and Bielle have been brooding over their nests and quietly bickering about the heat and intrusive possibly broody neighbor Martha. During a routine nighttime visit of the Crazy Chicken Lady (CCL) to check eggs a sudden peeping was heard. Through quick thinking by CCL because of course the new broody/grow out ward has not been completed an extra large dog crate was called into service to provide extra security for Bitchena's special clutch. Much side eye and indignation was thrown at CCL for her lack of preparedness. When back to candleing of eggs in Beille's box requiring her to be removed from her nest. As soon as Beille jumped back into her nest the unmistakable cruch and squish was heard immediately detected by CCL. Before CCL could step in Beille had gobbled up her exposed partially formed offspring at which point she was forcibly moved back with the judgy clucking flock roosting feet away. CCL muttered promises of a visit to a stew pot in Beille's future. CCL then quietly discussed the opportunity of Martha being able to adopt which was welcomed with open wings by Martha who had for many days been trying to push Beille out anyway. End Episode.

So I hope you enjoyed the humor of my story but anyone ever deal with a broody hen actually eating her eggs before they've hatched and even after hatch when they're about a week+ old?

It is normal for a good broody to keep her nest clean by eating up broken eggs.

Candling the eggs is best done on days 10 and17 while the broody is out and about defecating, dustbathing, preening, drinking and eating, which should be a daily occurence.

Almost forgot: Whenever an egg is broken the nest needs to get cleaned out thoroughly and filled with fresh bedding prior to returning the remaining eggs of the clutch, which of course should have been cleaned as well, so no gunk will clogg the egg pores and no bacterial buildup will endanger the future chicks.

The broody will usually need a washing of her soiled belly as well to prevent the eggs from sticking to her feathers

Last edited:
It is normal for a good broody to keep her nest clean by eating up broken eggs.

Candling the eggs is best done on days 10 and17 while the broody is out and about defecating, dustbathing, preening, drinking and eating, which should be a daily occurence.

Almost forgot: Whenever an egg is broken the nest needs to get cleaned out thoroughly and filled with fresh bedding prior to returning the remaining eggs of the clutch, which of course should have been cleaned as well, so no gunk will clogg the egg pores and no bacterial buildup will endanger the future chicks.

The broody will usually need a washing of her soiled belly as well to prevent the eggs from sticking to her feathers
I'm sorry for your experience, but I found your story extremely entertaining! I have so little experience that I will not even attempt to offer advice. This is my first year.

I'm dealing with my own problems with a pullet that went broody. She happens to be the bottom of the pecking order and her only 2 chicks hatched nine days apart.

I know just enough to be dangerous.

Back
Top Bottom