Cannibal chicken?

Crankkt

Chirping
Oct 8, 2021
Newfoundland, Canada
I have had several instances as of late that with hindsight am realizing may have been caused by the same culprit.

I believe what started it was my rooster, who unfortunately has large comb and wattles, got some frostbite which lead to it bleeding. I found him covered in blood. He was separated for a couple weeks but in an enclosure right next to the hens. When he was pretty healed up I tried putting him back. It was fine for a few hours but first thing in the morning I went out to find the elevator scene from the Shining.

Rooster was seperated again but this time he was away until there was absolutely no signs of trauma. His comb and wattles were smooth and healed nicely. I tried this time for a morning reintroduction to the flock. I watched very closely for a couple hours and felt pretty confident they would be fine. I continued to check every 30 mins or so and in that span of time I found the poor rooster with his wattles pecked raw.

He was removed and my intention was to not subject him to that again. He has been alone now for about 2 weeks and seems fine.

At this point I was thinking that the flock of hens were directing their aggression at the rooster because they had been had gotten positive results.

However, the last 4 days have changed my mind... I found a hen with some blood on the leg that appeared to come from a superficial scratch, hen was removed and put by herself.

Now I am thinking this may be a particular hen doing this. I notice that one of them is occasionally pecking and eating feathers from the others. The following morning a second hen has had her butt pecked bare and she is bloody and bruised. She is separated. This was yesterday. Today a third hen fell victim but unfortunately didn't make it. She was also pecked viciously on her back end while I was at work.

Upon close inspection there is a lavender orpington who is covered in blood. None of the other birds have anything noticeable but the orpington is painted red. Thinking back I had to clean her up when the rooster was attacked. I feel awful but I was thinking the behaviors were driven by opportunity rather than passion.

Due to the avian flu outbreak in the area the flock has been confined to a section of the garage which is 12x14. It housed 10 hens and the rooster.

Does this bird need to be culled? Any hopes in being able to remove this bird and reintroduce? I am now convinced this bird is actively attacking the other birds to draw blood because it got the taste. I am grasping for straws but I am very fond of my birds and feel they are my pets and not livestock. The hen today passed in my arms which was really hard and just looking for some advice.

Many thanks if you read this far:)

I’m so sorry about the hen who passed, that’s just awful. I agree, it sounds like the lavender is causing this based off the info you provided. I haven’t had this experience but maybe she needs to be separated and given some vitamins? She might be lacking something like iron. No idea though. So sorry.

What are you feeding them and have you noticed her eating normally? Feather picking can be a lack of protein but she is clearly beyond that. You could try separating her. Separation can bring a top bird to the bottom of the pecking order. Is she a boss chicken when the rooster is gone? Also how many feeding stations do you have?

What are you feeding them and have you noticed her eating normally? Feather picking can be a lack of protein but she is clearly beyond that. You could try separating her. Separation can bring a top bird to the bottom of the pecking order. Is she a boss chicken when the rooster is gone? Also how many feeding stations do you have?
There is 3 feeding stations with 18% protein layer pellets, one heated waterer, a second non heated that has been freezing over daily but freshened up twice a day and crushed oyster shell available.

Once a day they get some scratch, cracked corn or kitchen scraps.

This hen was near the bottom of the pecking order and been raised together with the other birds. However she was a bit of a late bloomer and didn't lay till 7 months... but she has also become the largest bird in the flock (excluding Mr. Roo but he is not with them) and with her size has moved to the top position.

There is 3 feeding stations with 18% protein layer pellets, one heated waterer, a second non heated that has been freezing over daily but freshened up twice a day and crushed oyster shell available.

Once a day they get some scratch, cracked corn or kitchen scraps.

This hen was near the bottom of the pecking order and been raised together with the other birds. However she was a bit of a late bloomer and didn't lay till 7 months... but she has also become the largest bird in the flock (excluding Mr. Roo but he is not with them) and with her size has moved to the top position.
Sounds like she has no excuse. You can try separating her, putting the rooster back and letting him establish his spot again and then brining her back but I don't have roosters so I don't know if that will work. Its worth a shot before turning her into stew. Maybe someone will have a better idea

Back
Top Bottom