Canning Recipe Needed: Syrian Pepper Sauce AKA Lamb Sauce

MrsCountryChick

Songster
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
PA
I have an abundance of Hot Banana Peppers & LOVE Syrian Pepper Sauce, but have no recipe for it. It's made with only Banana Peppers, Onions & Oil. But in what ratios? I assume in canning this canning salt would be needed too.? Any help would be Greatly Appreciated.
smile.png
I say it's a Syrian Pepper Sauce due to it's name, but it's also known as Lamb Sauce. But the product we like only has those 3 ingredients, but that's on a store packaged container. I would Love to can some, but haven't came across a canning recipe for it yet. I now have a Wonderful Banana Pepper Rings canning recipe, but we also like this Banana Pepper Sauce also.

Well, I don't have a recipe for this one. We don't really eat lamb. We've tried to cook it 3-4 different ways, tried it in restaurants....just not our thing.

But I don't think there would be a homecanned recipe that would be safe since it includes oil. Oil (as an ingredient) is one of those shouldn't-be-homecanned-things. The commercial industry can do it because their equipment is much different than our kitchen equipment.

Since you have so many peppers to use, this one may be helpful:

Hot Pepper Mustard - I had posted it in the 'what are you canning thread'. It's a favoirite of ours, it's the main mustard we keep in the house for sandwiches, as a dipping sauce, as a recipe ingredient, etc.

Thanks for the info.
smile.png
We're not big Lamb meat eaters either, but my husband Loves to dip bread into this sauce & on the rare occasion that we did get a Lamb sandwich from the local restaurant he dips the sandwich into this Banana Pepper Sauce. But since in the last yr I've gotten into making homemade bread, he'd Love to have some homemade sauce. & since we have the peppers I thought I'd see if anyone had a recipe. I worry about safe canning not to just wing it & 'make up' a recipe, so I was hoping to find a close good recipe to can some. I have a Pressure Canner (have yet to use it tho), so I thought maybe someone would have a recipe that could be canned that way. I have a canning book but it's not the real large Ball book it's the big softback version, called Blue Book. But I'm always looking for something new.
wink.png

No oil, no dairy, no matter how it is canned. If you find a recipe make sure it is safe to can, you can go to garden web dot com, and then to the harvest forum, they have canning experts there, they may help you come up with something, even if you freeze and then add the oil before serving!
I hope you find something to your liking and if you do post the recipe.

Quick google search found this, hope this helps. This is not a canning recipe but will last a long time in fridge.

Syrian Sauce
1 small jar hot vinegar pepper rings (drain half of the vinegar & discard)
1 small onion
2 cloves garlic, chopped (to taste)
1/2 c. oil
Salt & Pepper to taste
Mix together & allow to sit overnight to allow flavors to marry.

Quote:
Thanks I'll have try that recipe.
smile.png
I'm canning the Hot Banana Pepper Rings, so after they're canned & marinated a bit I'll have to open a can & try that.
big_smile.png

I have canned my lamb sauce so to speak. It stores 3-4 mos. in the fridge. Day one - slice banana peppers into rings. Soak overnite covered by distilled white vinegar. Day 2: prepare jars. We used to use baby food jars but I now use 1/2 pt jars. Drain peppers. Fill jar tightly with peppers and one lg clove garlic or 2 med. cloves and a sprig of Greek Oregano or 1/4 tsp. dry. Fill jar with vegetable oil. I use the vegetable oil because the olive oil hardens in the fridge and browns the peppers. Lid the sterilized jars. Someone told me to heat the oil but I never tried it as it never lasts long enough to want it to last all year. We use it to marinade with, dip bread, and definitely dip our lamb on the rod or other cuts, but esp. on the lamb on the rod.

Quick google search found this, hope this helps. This is not a canning recipe but will last a long time in fridge.

Syrian Sauce
1 small jar hot vinegar pepper rings (drain half of the vinegar & discard)
1 small onion
2 cloves garlic, chopped (to taste)
1/2 c. oil
Salt & Pepper to taste
Mix together & allow to sit overnight to allow flavors to marry.
Thank you! I've been trying to get the ratios right on this for YEARS.

Back
Top Bottom