Can't figure out laying routine...need help

kannada35

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 17, 2010
Woodville
Hi all.....It has been four weeks this coming Saturday that we brought home our 2 Buff Wyandottes and 2 Black Australorps. Also three weeks that we introduce 2 Light Brown Leghorns. One leghorn started laying that night. Two nights later she laid again and we also got a brown egg from one of the original 4. Since then, almost to the time we 1 brown and 1 white egg every other evening. This week we have only gotten 1 white egg.
Since these chickens were from a free range raiser, we have began letting them free range over the past week. Would this have an effect? The Australorps also seem to be molting as there are quite a few feathers showing up in and around the coop. We have watched them interact and there appears to be no fighting.
I need help here....lol. I was certain they would have settled in by now and all laying....but not even close. Can anyone help.

Molting does affect egg production, and being new, it can take a hen a good three weeks to settle down and become comfortable with her surroundings. Maybe since they're free ranging, some of the gals have a secret spot they like to lay their eggs in. I would recommend that you lock them into your coop/run for about 4 to 5 days and see what happens.

Good luck!
smile.png

Sharon

What chicmom said. Any change of location, moving to new "farm" or even to a new coop on the SAME property can upset laying for two to three weeks. Not always, but a couple weeks, usually. Plus excessive heat can put them off laying for a while, AND moulting can do the same thing.

Oh, any yes.... free range chickens are sneaky! If new chickens haven't been locked into their coop for a week or so before they get let loose, they might not yet know THAT'S where they're supposed to lay their eggs.....

Thank you both.....good info. We did have them locked into coop for the first few weeks and they seemed to be comfy as we started getting some eggs. If they have a secret hiding spot....oh boy....they have a big area they like to stroll around in....lol. Now, any ideas on why the two lay in the evening and not in the morning?

Back
Top Bottom