Can't figure out what is wrong with this hen. EDIT: Defintely ill.

Haemony, how's your hen faring? Mine's not doing well at all. Her symptoms are the same except now she's emitting a strong ammonia smell and almost constantly leaking an almost clear fluid. Her bottom, which she's plucked nearly clean, was bright red, but now there are dark purplish, almost bruise-like, spots. I feel like I should probably end her suffering because it's just not in the budget for me to take her to the vet and from what other's have responded (thank you to all of you!), I don't think she's going to be here for much longer anyway. I truly feel like she's probably suffering from EYP. It's so heartbreaking. She's the sweetest little hen, loves to come to me for petting, but my other hens and 3 little bantam roos are picking on her way too much. And she's too weak to even get up into the nest box. :(

Mykee, thank you for your reply. I appreciate any ideas. So sorry than an owl took your hen.

Would internal parasites cause a blockage? Her abdomen feels hard and a bit distended right beneath the vent. She is walking awkwardly with one foot turned inward and is obviously in pain. She is in the house now so she is warm. She is stinky again. None of the other hens seem ill. They have no symptoms.

I let her back out with the flock after her soak but she seemed to decline slightly. She stopped eating and drinking but she did not hide. She stood in the sun with her eyes closed. She did still try to keep up with the flock and went into the coop and then the hen house on her own in the evening. She did not go to roost but stood in the corner with her face against the wall shivering. It is below freezing tonight so I brought her back into the house. I am always torn about removing a hen from the flock. She really seems to want to be with them but I could not leave her on the floor like that and I want to observe her.

I gave her a dose of epsom salt and some water with a syringe. She ate a few pellets I had smashed up for her but did not drink or poop. She released a bit more yellowy goo. Now she is (hopefully) asleep in a cozy box in a puppy cage with a blanket over it. She has a little food and some water in there with her
Epsom salts edible?

CherryMeDarlin' I would keep her separate from the other hens at this point. It really is heartbreaking.

I am sad to report that Stella did not make it. She lived only a few more days after my last post. I put her on the antibiotics but I realized the next day that it was too late. She was drinking and had even tried to eat. I was encouraged by that so I tried the antibiotics. It then turned out that she was not keeping any of it down so it did her no good. I was keeping her in the house in a box with shavings because it was so cold. I would let her out during the day for awhile when it was sunny so she could be with the other hens. At first they would hang out with her and did not pick on her. It even seemed they were keeping her company off and on during the day because she could not keep up with them anymore. Then they started pecking her and she could not longer keep food or water down. Maybe they know better than we do. I don't know. Her belly was too swollen to sit down or perch. All she could do is stand around looking miserable. I ended her suffering. She also had that strong ammonia smell and was leaking from both beak and bottom. I did what I could for her but at a certain point it seemed cruel to try to keep her alive. Poor little thing. She was a sweetie. It is always hard to make that decision and to know when. I appreciate the responses I got here. I think it was already too late for her by the time I realized she was so ill.

Yes, Chickadee epsom salts are drinkable. Epsom salts are a traditional laxative and are taken with warm water. People take them all the time. I usually just soak the hens in the epsom salt and water. Good remedy for an egg bound hen. They will often drink some of the water which is okay. I've had epsom salt water when I was ill. It takes really nasty but it works.

Last edited:
Haemony, how's your hen faring? Mine's not doing well at all. Her symptoms are the same except now she's emitting a strong ammonia smell and almost constantly leaking an almost clear fluid. Her bottom, which she's plucked nearly clean, was bright red, but now there are dark purplish, almost bruise-like, spots. I feel like I should probably end her suffering because it's just not in the budget for me to take her to the vet and from what other's have responded (thank you to all of you!), I don't think she's going to be here for much longer anyway. I truly feel like she's probably suffering from EYP. It's so heartbreaking. She's the sweetest little hen, loves to come to me for petting, but my other hens and 3 little bantam roos are picking on her way too much. And she's too weak to even get up into the nest box. :(
I'm not sure, but I think the smell could mean kidney failure, probably due to dehydration and the brusing maybe blood or sepsis. Either way, she's probably not long for this world. I feel for you!

CherryMeDarlin' I would keep her separate from the other hens at this point. It really is heartbreaking.

I am sad to report that Stella did not make it. She lived only a few more days after my last post. I put her on the antibiotics but I realized the next day that it was too late. She was drinking and had even tried to eat. I was encouraged by that so I tried the antibiotics. It then turned out that she was not keeping any of it down so it did her no good. I was keeping her in the house in a box with shavings because it was so cold. I would let her out during the day for awhile when it was sunny so she could be with the other hens. At first they would hang out with her and did not pick on her. It even seemed they were keeping her company off and on during the day because she could not keep up with them anymore. Then they started pecking her and she could not longer keep food or water down. Maybe they know better than we do. I don't know. Her belly was too swollen to sit down or perch. All she could do is stand around looking miserable. I ended her suffering. She also had that strong ammonia smell and was leaking from both beak and bottom. I did what I could for her but at a certain point it seemed cruel to try to keep her alive. Poor little thing. She was a sweetie. It is always hard to make that decision and to know when. I appreciate the responses I got here. I think it was already too late for her by the time I realized she was so ill.

Yes, Chickadee epsom salts are drinkable. Epsom salts are a traditional laxative and are taken with warm water. People take them all the time. I usually just soak the hens in the epsom salt and water. Good remedy for an egg bound hen. They will often drink some of the water which is okay. I've had epsom salt water when I was ill. It takes really nasty but it works.
Sorry for your loss.

Our Dominique, Bernadette, is acting exactly the same way. Walking awkwardly, when she walks at all; no eggs being laid; not eating/drinking. She is hunched up with tail down & moves as little as possible. I knew something was wrong when this normally skittish bird allowed me to pick her up. Her vent is distended & undulating making me think she is trying to lay an egg but, so far, no egg. We've put her in a cage in the garage. When my husband inspected the vent, the same yellow, runny "goo" came out. I was wondering if anyone has solved this mystery. I hesitate to take her to a bird clinic because of the cost but I can't let her suffer either. Any more thoughts anyone?

We took our Lucy to the bird vet about a month ago now with these symptoms. An xray showed a broken egg in her. He gave her a shot and then she was on antibiotics for 2 weeks.. Last week she started laying again and she is her old self now :) Yes, the vet was expensive. I took her because I was worried that she was sick with something the other girls could get and if that was the case i justified the cost. We're expecting to get baby chicks the first week in May, so again, I wanted to make sure she wasn't ill. He also did a pile of other tests on her and gave her a clean bill of health which was nice to hear (as far as worms and stuff...)

We took our Lucy to the bird vet about a month ago now with these symptoms. An xray showed a broken egg in her. He gave her a shot and then she was on antibiotics for 2 weeks.. Last week she started laying again and she is her old self now :) Yes, the vet was expensive. I took her because I was worried that she was sick with something the other girls could get and if that was the case i justified the cost. We're expecting to get baby chicks the first week in May, so again, I wanted to make sure she wasn't ill. He also did a pile of other tests on her and gave her a clean bill of health which was nice to hear (as far as worms and stuff...)
clap.gif
That's great news!

Thanks everyone for the info. We made Bernadette comfy in a cage in the garage. After a few days she was eating bread, clover & fruit (her favorite) and drinking probiotic/cider vinegar water. We called our local Cat & Bird clinic about her condition; the veterinary surgeon said that in lieu of the $85 charge they'd slap on us for bringing her in (the charge for an exotic bird visit...HA!), that we were doing everything they would prescribe, short of doing lots of expensive tests. As of today, we let her out in the yard for a few hours. She is perkier (her old skittish self) and seems much better. BM's are not exactly normal & the other hens were picking on her, so we put her back in the cage. But she is most definitely doing better. That said, I think she might benefit from antibiotics. I will call a local vet who treats farm animals tomorrow. Again, thanks everyone for their comments.

P.S. I asked the vet surgeon about the epsom salts bath (it works for us, right?!?) & she said she would not recommend it b/c it would be more likely to stress the bird. Just passing that along.

Back
Top Bottom