Can't Find Chick Grit in the Stores

Leasmom1013

Songster
May 6, 2020
Hi. I have some chicks that came Friday. I am trying to get some supplies for when they are two weeks old and I can introduce them to chick grit and some snacks but I can't find any in the stores online. Can I use Hermit Crab Sand which says it has natural sand, coconut fiber, calcium carbonate, sea salt mix and probiotics. If not, what can I give them? I didn't expect to not be able to find chick grit.

Hi. I have some chicks that came Friday. I am trying to get some supplies for when they are two weeks old and I can introduce them to chick grit and some snacks but I can't find any in the stores online. Can I use Hermit Crab Sand which says it has natural sand, coconut fiber, calcium carbonate, sea salt mix and probiotics. If not, what can I give them? I didn't expect to not be able to find chick grit.
When they are 2 weeks old, go out in your yard and dig up a chunk of sod and give that to them. They will scratch it to smithereens and pick out grit, grass, weeds and critters. And it will help boost their immune system.

what can I give them? I didn't expect to not be able to find chick grit.
I read of someone who bought the adult-sized grit, which contains both large and small pieces, then sifted out the smaller bits to offer to chicks.

You might not need to actually sift it, because the little bits sink to the bottom of the bag. You can probably just pour the big pieces out of the top of a package into another container (save them for when the chicks are bigger) and use the smaller part at the bottom when the chicks are young. If you let them pick through a range of sizes, they will eat the correctly sizes pieces and leave the bigger ones behind-- so no problem with having a few big bits in what you offer them, they'll just leave it unused.

@DobieLover idea about the chunk of sod works fine as well.

I read of someone who bought the adult-sized grit, which contains both large and small pieces, then sifted out the smaller bits to offer to chicks.

You might not need to actually sift it, because the little bits sink to the bottom of the bag. You can probably just pour the big pieces out of the top of a package into another container (save them for when the chicks are bigger) and use the smaller part at the bottom when the chicks are young. If you let them pick through a range of sizes, they will eat the correctly sizes pieces and leave the bigger ones behind-- so no problem with having a few big bits in what you offer them, they'll just leave it unused.

@DobieLover idea about the chunk of sod works fine as well.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom