Can't reintegrate chicken - get her new friends?

aryanromo

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 3, 2016
I'm going on 9 weeks of this issue, and just not sure how to proceed now. The chickens got out 9 weeks ago, a neighbor's dog got into the yard and roughed up Lady. She wasn't bloody at all, no torn feathers, but clearly in shock. I separated her for a couple of days, then put her back in with Helen & Mabel. They attacked her & tore out her head, neck & shoulder feathers all overnight.

I separated her, cleaned her up, treated her. Let her feathers grow back in for a little over 2 weeks, tried to reintegrate her. She was torn up again. I gave her another week in the ER coop, then swapped her with Helen, who I thought was the bully. Turns out it was Mabel and the next morning Lady was bloody again.

Gave it another almost 3 weeks in the ER coop, then tried again. Even with Pick No More slathered on her, Helen & Mabel attack Lady, and she's bloody again. I've cleaned her up, treated her with Hen heal. She's laying & otherwise acting normally, except she wants into the regular coop.

Now I'm thinking I need a second coop & maybe some younger friends for her?

I'm going on 9 weeks of this issue, and just not sure how to proceed now. The chickens got out 9 weeks ago, a neighbor's dog got into the yard and roughed up Lady. She wasn't bloody at all, no torn feathers, but clearly in shock. I separated her for a couple of days, then put her back in with Helen & Mabel. They attacked her & tore out her head, neck & shoulder feathers all overnight.

I separated her, cleaned her up, treated her. Let her feathers grow back in for a little over 2 weeks, tried to reintegrate her. She was torn up again. I gave her another week in the ER coop, then swapped her with Helen, who I thought was the bully. Turns out it was Mabel and the next morning Lady was bloody again.

Gave it another almost 3 weeks in the ER coop, then tried again. Even with Pick No More slathered on her, Helen & Mabel attack Lady, and she's bloody again. I've cleaned her up, treated her with Hen heal. She's laying & otherwise acting normally, except she wants into the regular coop.

Now I'm thinking I need a second coop & maybe some younger friends for her?
Here is an article that might be helpful:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-bully-chicken-victim-a-two-sided-issue.73923/

At least for now, I would agree with your idea of a second coop, but put it beside the first coop and don't get new chickens quite yet. Let her live next to the others, so they can socialize through the sides of the run but no-one gets hurt, and see if they can eventually accept her as a flock member again. It might take weeks or possibly even months, but that is still faster than raising new chicks. And if you get adult hens to be new companions for her, you run the risk of having the same problem with them-- and then you'd be needing a third coop! So my advice would be to try a slow look-no-touch introduction before you make a definite decision about getting more chickens.

Back
Top Bottom