Carnivorous Plant Bog turns into a Terrarium!

Snarflogus

Songster
Apr 30, 2021
Middle of Kansas
My last thread!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/carnivorous-plant-bog-at-home.1478238/
But now I have 2 plants! A red Lady Luck, and the original one.
20210708_142635.jpg

20210729_144512.jpg

My last thread explained how I sort of made up a bog for my little green guy because he was not looking great. Now it's doing amazing and has tons of small pitchers developing! The Lady Luck went through a rough patch and it still recovering....so she looks not amazing. And with that! Lets move on.
The first pic is a mixture of pebbles from our yard and some I ordered online. They've been rinsed and such.
20210802_152721.jpg

This mixture lines the bottom of both jars and acts as a water reservoir. The next layer is a carbon layer, this is the filter for the water as it falls through.
20210802_153310.jpg

Not pre-rinsed, cause it was a fricking mess. So much black powder everywhere. Beware lol. Next was the cheesecloth, this helps keep the layers cleanly separated and uh...something something water cycle?
20210802_154817.jpg
20210802_154833.jpg

I never claimed to be an expert. Moving on! We add the Spag moss! Soo much moss. It's a great medium for holding water since both tropical pitcher plants need a high humidity bog-like environment. Also, doesn't it just look sharp AF?
20210802_154836.jpg

20210802_154841.jpg

I mean, $8.99 for a little brick that filled both jars with some leftover? Totally worth. Your plants will thank you. And so will your humidity levels!
Then we have the plants! Yay! You'll see a mix of moss (not spag moss), the pitcher plants, and some tiny sundews.
20210802_155805.jpg

It took a while to figure out how much spag moss I needed once I put the green moss in. The green moss is thick! I ended taking a bunch out of the cylindrical jar and not as much from the sphere one.
20210802_155809.jpg

Who could've foreseen that jars would be hard for my phone to see through? This is the Lady Luck. The isopods have since eaten all the dead tissue, so she looks a bit naked atm.
20210802_162417.jpg

Tiny sundews! In the Lady Luck's jar since it ended up being much larger.
20210810_162659.jpg

Top view many days later. You can see a Rolly Polly at 11 O'clock. They are my detritivores! And too almost too good of a job. But I know it's for the best. My plant will end up better in the end, just like the other one has.
20210809_171019.jpg

More of the janitors in question! They have already made many babies. Which you can see actually, to the right of the right adult. The little white speck with antennae.
Speaking of babies, here are the young pitchers in all their glory!
20210802_161656.jpg
You can see a couple of the bigger ones here. This jar also has isopods, but not as many. I've been transferring some over though, and this jar has babies as well.
20210812_163018.jpg

You can see them just to the right of the center, under the dirt of the green moss layer. That's where they spend most of their time when they aren't eating.

So there you have it! The last couple of things, They cant be in direct sunlight or they can hold far too much heat for the plant's health since it's a lidded system. If the bugs aren't keeping up with dead tissue, it should be removed or it can spread disease. If there isn't enough dead material to feed them alternatively, you can gather dead leaves or slice tiny bits of fruit for them.

Give me your feedback and plant pics! Please and thank you!
Mist your babies for me. :love

Attachments

• 20210802_162424.jpg
    20210802_162424.jpg
    538.1 KB · Views: 2
My last thread!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/carnivorous-plant-bog-at-home.1478238/
But now I have 2 plants! A red Lady Luck, and the original one.
View attachment 2795513
View attachment 2795512

My last thread explained how I sort of made up a bog for my little green guy because he was not looking great. Now it's doing amazing and has tons of small pitchers developing! The Lady Luck went through a rough patch and it still recovering....so she looks not amazing. And with that! Lets move on.
The first pic is a mixture of pebbles from our yard and some I ordered online. They've been rinsed and such.
View attachment 2795517
This mixture lines the bottom of both jars and acts as a water reservoir. The next layer is a carbon layer, this is the filter for the water as it falls through.
View attachment 2795519
Not pre-rinsed, cause it was a fricking mess. So much black powder everywhere. Beware lol. Next was the cheesecloth, this helps keep the layers cleanly separated and uh...something something water cycle?
View attachment 2795525View attachment 2795527
I never claimed to be an expert. Moving on! We add the Spag moss! Soo much moss. It's a great medium for holding water since both tropical pitcher plants need a high humidity bog-like environment. Also, doesn't it just look sharp AF?
View attachment 2795528
View attachment 2795529
I mean, $8.99 for a little brick that filled both jars with some leftover? Totally worth. Your plants will thank you. And so will your humidity levels!
Then we have the plants! Yay! You'll see a mix of moss (not spag moss), the pitcher plants, and some tiny sundews.
View attachment 2795531
It took a while to figure out how much spag moss I needed once I put the green moss in. The green moss is thick! I ended taking a bunch out of the cylindrical jar and not as much from the sphere one.
View attachment 2795532
Who could've foreseen that jars would be hard for my phone to see through? This is the Lady Luck. The isopods have since eaten all the dead tissue, so she looks a bit naked atm.
View attachment 2795533
Tiny sundews! In the Lady Luck's jar since it ended up being much larger.
View attachment 2795536
Top view many days later. You can see a Rolly Polly at 11 O'clock. They are my detritivores! And too almost too good of a job. But I know it's for the best. My plant will end up better in the end, just like the other one has.
View attachment 2795540
More of the janitors in question! They have already made many babies. Which you can see actually, to the right of the right adult. The little white speck with antennae.
Speaking of babies, here are the young pitchers in all their glory!
View attachment 2795537You can see a couple of the bigger ones here. This jar also has isopods, but not as many. I've been transferring some over though, and this jar has babies as well.
View attachment 2795551
You can see them just to the right of the center, under the dirt of the green moss layer. That's where they spend most of their time when they aren't eating.

So there you have it! The last couple of things, They cant be in direct sunlight or they can hold far too much heat for the plant's health since it's a lidded system. If the bugs aren't keeping up with dead tissue, it should be removed or it can spread disease. If there isn't enough dead material to feed them alternatively, you can gather dead leaves or slice tiny bits of fruit for them.

Give me your feedback and plant pics! Please and thank you!
Mist your babies for me. :love
This looks awesome! I wish we had some carnivorous plants around here, there are so many bugs ! Although the plants would probably just be destroyed by my little brothers. *Sigh...* (little kids...)

This looks awesome! I wish we had some carnivorous plants around here, there are so many bugs ! Although the plants would probably just be destroyed by my little brothers. *Sigh...* (little kids...)
We definitely don't have them around here, thats why they have super specialized little life bubbles lol. You could always do a much smaller one! Petflytrap has tiny kits.

Back
Top Bottom