Carved pumpkins?

CowgirlPenny

Songster
8 Years
Feb 17, 2011
South East TN
We carved pumpkins 4 days ago. My husband was going to throw them out but then he asked if he could shave off the dry layer inside the pumpkin so the chickens could eat the meat that's still pretty moist. I have no idea. Is it too late for them to eat any?

We carved our pumpkin last wednesday. Yesterday the chickens found it on the porch and ate the whole front off of it. They are working on the rest today. Does that tell you anything?
big_smile.png

So, is it ok to let them eat the skin too and not just the meat inside? I guess we'll bust one open them and let them go to town on it.

What about seeds and guts? Are those ok too? lol I never got around to carving my pumpkin. If not I'll just give them one that's already been carved.

Last edited:
Made a soup in a pumpkin last night, saved the shell for the girls. Put it in the run this morning and at first they just looked at it but by the time I left for work they were going at it!

As long as they aren't eating any melted wax from inside the pumpkin just let them have it as is!!! They will love the treat! Mine got the guts the other day and will get the rest today probably!!!

Well, decided to give them to the one that was not carved. Maybe a carved one tomorrow.

At first they were not sure what to do but the older hens jumped right in, and then the younger ones followed. Ate all the seeds and guts first and then started on the meat. They are going to be full today that's for sure!!

103_9694.jpg

103_9697.jpg

chickens will eat ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING THEY CAN FIT IN THEIR BEAKS!!!!!

i had a pullet once eat a nail and yes it did lead to her death. it was sticking out her tummy one day she was sitting in the corner. nto the brightest bird brain

Back
Top Bottom