Cat attack on 3.5 week old chick

backyardjack

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 25, 2014
England
I don't really know where to start... Well I woke up a bit late so didn't open the shed where the brooder is so as its such a hot day it was unbearably hot in there so I thought I would put them on the grass in a guinea pig run (obviously not with the guinea pigs aha) well I sat with them and the chickens were having a bit of a peck at the bars but lost interest pretty fast so they had go to the point were they were content just pecking around inside the run. I ,so so so idiotically, thought I would just be able to nip inside have a drink and what ever. All of a sudden I heard this almighty chirp/shreak and our cat had one of the chicks held though the bars. After getting the cat off and everything we went straight to the vet where she is now having some stitches and fluids and then she's going to be on oral antibiotics by the sounds of things. Has anybody had an experience like this? and what was the outcome? Also I have one alone chick so if she doesn't come though what's the best thing to do as I've heard is not good to keep them alone?

Depending on the extent of the injuries there's a good chance she'll pull through. Just do the best you can to keep the wounds clean and make sure she eats and drinks. If she stops you'll want to try tube feeding. (it's not as bad as it sounds)

Since you only have two I would try to keep them together. I know usual protocol is to separate the injured, but if they can get along I'd let them. Sometimes having a friend helps them heal quicker. I had to do this with my ducks. You just have to keep a real close eye on them.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope your chick heals quickly.

Back
Top Bottom