Cat Litter Box Nesting Box?

lfreem2

Songster
9 Years
Dec 27, 2010
Waxhaw, NC
I am in search of an appropriate covered cat litter box for my hens, which are of large breed (australorp, orpington, sussex). I can't seem to find a box that looks of the appropriate size. In particular the door openings just seem darn small. Are you guys cutting open the front? Please advise which one you have purchased that you think would be effective for a larger breed bird. I'm either not finding the right one or over thinking this whole thing. Not sure which!

Thanks!

I bought the biggest covered litter box that Petco had. I had the idea that my younger chicks would sleep in it at night. Well, it is now the favorite laying box of my very large Brahma hens, as well as my two Jersey Giants. I didn't cut the opening any larger. When I went out to the coop yesterday, there were three hens in there - practically on top of eath other! I'm not sure of the opening size. There was a swinging door on it which I removed.

I suspect overthinking, LOL, unless your birds are awfully big.

You can also use an open top plastic bin if you wish. Some of mine prefer open top nests, some open front.

Whatever you end up getting, I'm sure they'll fit in. After all, it's not uncommon to use a 5 gallon pail for nesting boxes, and the large litter boxes appear to be bigger than those. I have the breeds that you do and also covered litter boxes in some of my coops--size is not a problem. No alterations needed on
the door either.

Quote:
I love your BoodaBox!! My cats aren't willing to give up theirs quiet yet, lol.

People actually admit they are from Waxall? I'm on the other side of Mt. Holly. Got my litterboxes off of Freecycle and craigslist. Just about any one will work.

I bought the large covered litter boxes at Walmart (blue plastic). They don't look very big in the store, but when you get them home, you'll see they are plenty big enough. They are about $15 each. They came with a door flap, which I removed. I have large breed hens and they have no problem getting in there. Put about 4 inches of pine shavings in the bottom, snap on the top, and you're ready to go.

As others have said, they are popular with the hens. Mine are on the floor inside the coop, not under the roost. I also have built in nest boxes and the hens use both.

D.gif

Back
Top Bottom