Cat needs to go??

annep

Songster
8 Years
Mar 4, 2011
We had a kitten, at the time, about 8 weeks old and starving, show up on our porch one day. We think her mama may had been hit by a car..So, we took her in, and she's just been my kind of cat..Cute for the kids to cuddle, but stays out of my way..She's quite the character..Mostly stays outside, which is what I want..I want her in the garage getting mice...Well, she's about 16 weeks old, and has killed mice, but also birds..I've been watching her, wondering if she'll go after the chickens..Today, I saw her playing that she was going to get them, and they kept just hiding. I've seen her eye them..almost to say...Some day, Ill be big enough to really getcha...Well, after seeing her trying today, I am thinking she needs to go. I dont want to risk my girls over a stray that we really dont care about...Thoughts??

I have 8 outside cats and have seen them play with the chickens, but never kill them. I think as long as the cat is well fed, that it won't hurt the chickens. Cats killing birds is a natural instinct. If you had chicks you would have to worry, but full size hens? no I don't think you need to worry at all.

My son's kitten played the same game. Until the hens had enough and went after him! Now he still "stalks them" - from a distance....
lol.png
As long as your hens are adults, I think they'll be fine. Are they standards or bantams? One other thing - I have feral cats living down by my chicken coop. They live off whatever rodents they find. They've never bothered my chickens. The worst they do is eat the eggs if they happen to find them first.

Ok...Thanks all! I guess we will wait..I really want a good mouser..they are trying to come into the house like crazy, and they are coming from the garage..So, I want to keep her there..She comes into the house, eats, and leaves. I am going to start putting her food in there, and not feed her quite as much, so she will go after the mice!

Our barn cats like to stalk the chickens, but that's it. They don't ever attack them. They just crawl through the grass and watch them, to stroke their own ego, thinking "I could, if I wanted to" but they never do.

A Rat Zapper or even one of those multiple live catch mouse traps such as the Tincat will work better than any cat. The nice thing is that they won't cost you hundreds of dollars one day in vet bills.

Pests go where there's food, water, and/or shelter. The typical pest control strategy is to limit access to food and water and block their routes of entry and then setup traps.

Quote:
I have never taken a cat to the vet (you can treat about any illness at home that is worth treating)... just saying. and I don't know anyone that does. Cats are pretty low maintenance and cheap plus they make great companions.

Our chickens are 16 weeks old. Our cats range in age from 3-6 years old. The chickens scare the hell out of the cats. I wouldn't worry about your cat with large fowl - chicks and bantams are another issue and may be of concern.

Last edited:
My recommendation would be to keep the cat,but build a secure run right off the house.If you do a search on cat enclosures you will come across some awesome set ups people have built for their feline friends. I don't think cats will bother the chickens much,but for their safety and being a good neighbor I recommend an enclosure/run.

http://www.just4cats.com/

Back
Top Bottom