Cat problem, I need a fix

Ironically if you killed the barn/feral cats, you'd probably end up with a vermin problem... It's a trade off. A decent Roo that you accept and love for doing his job should do you wonders and keep the peace with the neighbours too. Kill the cats and you may end up with way more hastle and agro than you do now. Till you move at least...

what you NEEEEEEEEEEDD to do is explain to the owners next time there in the pen you WILL. shoot them. if they care about them they'll do something. just check your laws concerning livestock and predators first. i know in most states if dog wanders onto your property and attacks livestock the second time it happens your allowed to kill it. so maybe thats an option. good luck >.<

Have you thought about or would you consider getting a goose? On two different occasions that I can recall over the years a goose has been good protection and watch dog for us with our chickens and ducks.

I would totally consider getting a goose, but I know nothing about them. Do you house it with the chickens?

Ironically if you killed the barn/feral cats, you'd probably end up with a vermin problem... It's a trade off. A decent Roo that you accept and love for doing his job should do you wonders and keep the peace with the neighbours too. Kill the cats and you may end up with way more hastle and agro than you do now. Till you move at least...
This is all true. Although another concern with the Roo is that HE will cause problems with the neighbors. I live in a suburban neighborhood that just happens to be zoned agri on my side of the street. Some of the neighbors are country folk, but others are not and aren't going to appreciate the finer "notes" of a Roo.
what you NEEEEEEEEEEDD to do is explain to the owners next time there in the pen you WILL. shoot them. if they care about them they'll do something. just check your laws concerning livestock and predators first. i know in most states if dog wanders onto your property and attacks livestock the second time it happens your allowed to kill it. so maybe thats an option. good luck >.<

Well, I have talked to them, and they're convinced their cats aren't doing anything. Honestly, at the time I didn't think they were either because they're so small, but that would explain why they haven't successfully killed a hen, they're only attacking and stripping feathers. I did make it clear that I couldn't have cats eating up my chickens, and the neighbor agreed, but of course she doesn't think its hers doing it.

It would sure be nice if we were out in the country and I could do whatever I wanted without hurting feelings or annoying the neighbors. Really. I know we've all thought it.

I would totally consider getting a goose, but I know nothing about them.  Do you house it with the chickens?

That's what we have done. Just let them get to know each other with supervision for awhile and then they've always started looking out for the smaller birds in "their flock ". We've only had one to two at a time. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I also know that we've had owls very near the past few nights and the ducks and chickens that free range are doing ok thus far. I must add that at one point I had to take baby ducks away again for a while because they looked at them as intruders but a few days later all was well.

If your coop is 'predator proof' no cat, dog, or coon could get in, so it sounds as if the coop needs an upgrade. A big rooster should help. Your run should be able to keep cats out also. If the run door is opened, and a feral cat comes in, trap and shoot, or trap and animal shelter. SSS is an option, or Animal Control and complaints filed, etc. Mary

If your coop is 'predator proof' no cat, dog, or coon could get in, so it sounds as if the coop needs an upgrade. A big rooster should help. Your run should be able to keep cats out also. If the run door is opened, and a feral cat comes in, trap and shoot, or trap and animal shelter. SSS is an option, or Animal Control and complaints filed, etc. Mary

The coop is predator proof, to my knowledge, as long as I close the pop hole at night. Up until now I've been able to do that and nothing has gotten into the coop. So it's my run that's not predator proof apparently. I can see a place or two that needs an upgrade, and I will to that, I just can't at the moment. For now I'll just keep the pop hole closed at night, which is just an inconvenience for me, and I need to suck it up.

Last edited:
Well, I have talked to them, and they're convinced their cats aren't doing anything. Honestly, at the time I didn't think they were either because they're so small, but that would explain why they haven't successfully killed a hen, they're only attacking and stripping feathers. I did make it clear that I couldn't have cats eating up my chickens, and the neighbor agreed, but of course she doesn't think its hers doing it.
Kill them in the barn. Bring them to the neighbor and say "I shot your cat while it was attacking my chicken. Please keep your animals off my property."

It's tough to say "My cats aren't doing anything" when you kill them in the act.

HI,

If a cat is getting into your run it's only a matter of time before a racoon or such gets in there. Killing the cats only delays the inevitable if you have chickens for any time period.

The first solution is to fix your run to keep out predators. Cats are predators. If cats can get in, it's NOT predator proof. If you in fact don't want to kill the cats then fix the run and close the door at night to keep them safe from all predators.

If you want approval to kill the cats then explain why this is not feasible. My radar says you want agreement and not ideas for how to do it.

If you want to kill the cats then kill them humanely. Trap and shoot, drown or asphixiate. Don't poison. There aren't many laws that protect cats except anti torture laws you may or may not have in your state.

Seriously.
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom