Cat problem, I need a fix

Ok so let's go back to SSS.

I'm sorry. This is frustrating me as it's a no win situation.

Feral cats are a big problem for some. The neighbors are probably feeding the cats because they need the varmit control AND the cats showed up. If you don't want to kill them, then don't expect the neighbores to want to kill them or watch them starve. And what are they to do except kill them if they are ferral? It's not like they can cage them up or put them in the house. You've already said it's not for lack of food. So they can't feed them more.

Don't make the neighbors feel bad for not killing the cats you don't want to kill either. (You didn't say you wanted to but someone is suggesting it. )

It's ugly and no one wins here. And you are loosing the most. I get it. That would make me really upset, too. And I read this post because I worry about cats for my hens, too.

If you want to make it worse, fight with the neighbors. If you want to promote peace and well being, either SSS or fix the run. Or sell the chickens. I really am sorry you have to deal with this. No doubt a nightmare.

All of us who don't have feral cat issues need to count our blessings.
fl.gif

Last edited:
The neighbors are feeding the cats - that's one of those double edged sword sort of things - if they're going to give the colony succor, they need to take responsibility for it.

Feeding feral cats isn't much different than feeding raccoons. You do it, you take responsibility.

That can be a touch situation with the neighbors and "keeping the peace". If the cat's "disappear", they'll know it's you and resent it and possibly retaliate. We've had predator problems before- raccoons, possums, hawks, owls, foxes, even a bobcat. We had to completely refortify our pen- it's chainlink all the way around lined with chicken wire on the inside attached to the chainlink and buried down about a foot. The top is also covered with chicken wire and we have an interior perimeter of cinderblocks. So far, nothing has been able to get in- even the squirrels. Even with all of that- I'm not convinced that it's "predator proof".

We do let them free range in the back yard for a few hours a day when we're outside with them and they all go back inside to roost and we lock them up.

Several options to fix your cat problem:

1) put a hotwire around the chicken coop.
2) refortify the coop as best as you can
3) consider getting a Great Pyrenees dog- they're bred to guard and are great with chickens as they see their job is to watch over and protect them- if you do that, start with a puppy and train early. Once the dog knows his job is to guard the flock, he'll kill anything that tries to bother them.

HI,

If a cat is getting into your run it's only a matter of time before a racoon or such gets in there.   Killing the cats only delays the inevitable if you have chickens for any time period.

The first solution is to fix your run to keep out predators.  Cats are predators.  If cats can get in, it's NOT predator proof.   If you in fact don't want to kill the cats then fix the run and close the door at night to keep them safe from all predators.

If you want approval to kill the cats then explain why this is not feasible.   My radar says you want agreement and not ideas for how to do it.

If you want to kill the cats then kill them humanely.  Trap and shoot, drown or asphixiate.  Don't poison.   There aren't many laws that protect cats except anti torture laws you may or may not have in your state.

Seriously. :oops:

Now I don't usually say anything when a persons post bothers me in any way, but please, please do not take the advice that drowning or asphyxiating an animal is at all humane. These are extremely inhumane ways to put down an animal.

As for the run, many people including myself do not have predator proof runs. As most attacks occur at night, generally a secure coop is effective enough. I don't even know how I could predator proof 100' x 60' run with trees etc.

I think your best ideas, not including removing the cats are a guardian, dog, rooster, goose, goat ;), or a deterrent. Cats are predators and therefore territorial. There are certain scents that they dislike. I have heard of ammonia, cougar urine and of course human urine... This would be DH's job at our house.

There are also thing like motion sensing sprinklers that could be very effective for cats. Even vigilance and a hose.

Or take a picture of the cats attacking your birds. Show this to the owners and say last chance.

Take pictures to show your neighbor.

Trap cats, take to shelter. Similarly, call animal control to report "wild cats" causing harm to your chickens.

Or let your .22 solve the issue if you are comfortable with killing them - dispatch humanely... don't drown or asphyxiate them... Do unto others, right?

You have had conversations with your neighbors. They should be taking responsibility for the animals they feed and semi-care for, especially since you mentioned you WILL take action if the animals are not controlled.

A cat is a predator that can kill for fun, even if the thing is well fed. If someone doesn't want their cat to bother your chickens, they need to keep it inside. That or they really don't care. You can tell a lot about a person by their actions.

Our birds' first and best line of protection is a strong run/coop.

- MrsB

Last edited:
I would let the neighbors know that your livestock is being threatened and, if they don't take action, then you will. Then do it. I'd use a .22, myself, but you could trap them and get animal control to come get them. They are not being good neighbors if they think it's okay to feed the wildlife but not let you protect your property.

Okay, now we're getting some ideas. Thank you ladies. I'm not offended in any way by your comments. I DON'T want to kill the cats. I like cats. I just don't like cats killing my chickens.

I think there is some confusion… my COOP is predator proof to my knowledge, nothing gets in if the pop hole is closed. It's my RUN that's not predator proof apparently, so obviously I have to close the pop hole every night, which isn't my desire. But I'll do what I have to do until I can strengthen my run.

At this point I think I'm going to get a wildlife camera and try to get some pictures of these cats to show to the neighbor. I don't want to create a difficult situation with them as they've been friendly and helpful in the past, even going to court with me as witnesses when they caught the other neighbor's dogs killing 11 of my chickens.

If it does ever come to killing the cats, I would choose a humane way to do it, and asphyxiation or drowning would not be things that I would consider.

In other news, a new predator showed up last night and tried to get my broody hen (that I'm trying to break) that is staying in a small outdoor covered run. It was trying to dig underneath, and I suspect a fox, though we've never seen them around. Either that or dog, but again, I haven't seen a stray dog around either. This time it wasn't cat, that's obvious. Very strange. Any suggestions for a good wildlife cam?

Not sure if this is a helpful suggestion but its a suggestion, none the less. My first thought would be to trap them and take them to the pound. Even if the owners come and claim them, after two times, they start fining them. So at least you would be costing them money every time you catch them.

My other thought is something we did here. I bought an electric fence suitable for horses. It is one wire that runs about an inch above the chainlink fence. I bought plastic clips and strung it along the top of the fence. It encloses my entire acre. It wasn't that expensive and you can choose to keep it on all the time or just at night or whatever. The chickens don't touch it because they don't jump the fence but it has stopped a few coyotes. Hope that helps. It didn't kill the coyotes, mind you. Not sure about a cat. I would rather not know either way. I am a cat lover but agree that they should stay on your own property.

Kimberchick, I've got the same sort of electric setup at the top of my fence. Probably $150-200 to do all 5 acres, if that much..

A lot of rural areas won't do anything with cats - I know animal control here won't, and the county shelters won't take them.

Back
Top Bottom