Cat problem?

We have purchased from Ebay motion sensor lights for night time and attached the approx 1 foot from ground level, and they come on when there is any movement within 3 feet of the coop. They all face outwards so do not affect the girls at night. We also have a little radio in the coop playing music (classical) for them 24/7. The music seems to relax them and it also makes predators believe there is a human in the coop.... So far, no problems...

Raccoons are very common even in urban environments. We live right in Dallas, and we have them around. They normally are out at night, though, so if you have your chickens locked inside a secure coop by nightfall, that will keep them safe.

One of the guys at the grocery store where we shop keeps chickens, and lost one just the other night to a raccoon. They hadn't locked their chickens in the coop, and the raccoon dug under the run and got one before they heard the commotion and came out to scare it away. They had never seen a raccoon in their area, either. But they had only been keeping chickens for a few months, and it was the chickens that attracted the coon to their yard.

We have a local poultry meetup for people who live in Dallas, and at the first meeting more than half of the people there reported that they had lost chickens to predators! Most of them had initially used chicken wire, not realizing this doesn't provide security; others hadn't realized about the possibility of predators digging under a fence, and the rest had chickens taken by hawks in daytime.

While most cats would not normally bother larger chickens, should you ever have chicks (however you obtain them-buy or raise), they would be in danger because of their size. Another point: cats can and will climb fences, no matter how high, IF they really want to get to the other side. I've seen cats climb walls, literally! If there is any way they can find a foothold (or clawhold) and they are motivated enough, they WILL climb.

Also, just because you've never seen any predators, please don't assume they aren't or never will be there. The scent from the chickens alone can bring predators to your backyard. You may never have a problem, and I sincerely hope you don't, but I'd advise you to never let your guard down.

We have many predators here: hawks, owls, coyotes, raccoons, dogs, cats (I have my own cats and one dog). I don't have chickens (yet!), nor a coop, but I plan on making it as predator-proof as possible! I'd love to be able to let them free-range, but I know that would just be asking for trouble. The coop would have to be as secure as Fort Knox, and the run completely enclosed, with an apron around the entire perimeter (not buried, we have clay here and trying to dig to bury it would be extremely hard for me to do, since I am the only one who would be doing it). Though I've never seen snakes around here, I would make it as hard for them to get in as well, because I know that there are snakes around.

Good luck!

I really thought we didn't have any raccoons where I live - suburbia, tract homes on 1/3 acre, sidewalks, etc. - I have lived here for almost 8 yrs. Less than one week after getting my chickens, I saw a raccoon coming out of the storm drain - very large raccoon - it was about 1-1/2 blocks from my house. Animal control will not do anything because "there are too many" and they use the storm drains to travel from one place to another. I bought key locks for all of my coops doors the next day. BTW, I live near Reno, NV - high desert terrain/climate.

I also have a neighbor's cat that has jumped into the run a couple of times. I put some Havahart pepper sprinkles all along the top of the fence. It got spooked by the chickens one time & ran home with it's fur all poofed out - I don't think it will come back.

I appreciate all the replies. I do know there is the possibility of other predators and I even said that it's possible the reason I have never seen any of them around here is because I didn't have anything of interest for them in the backyard. I am not at all worried about night time critters even if they were around here because the coop is solid (wood floor, no openings, etc). So raccoons, owls, and the like are not an issue. Hawks might be and I said that, but I'm not going to put them in a small covered run for that risk. There are little dogs in the neighborhood much smaller than my chickens and none have ever been scooped. Please understand I am not saying none of these are possibilities, I just mean the only real thing I was worried about in a cost/risk assessment was the actual cat I do see. I am sure they are safe in their coop at night and it would be very hard for an animal to get in my yard during the day besides a cat or hawk. Make sense? If I can eliminate night time predators, then the only daytime possible ones would be a cat or a hawk. No dogs, no coyotes, no weasels, and no foxes. I suppose a road runner could get here even though I have only seen them in properties that were gravel/rock. My neighborhood is all grass, but it's possible...just seems unlikely.

I just don't want you think I'm being stupid. I recognize the possibility of things, but given the unlikely nature of them, I was just more concerned about whether a cat was an issue. I also am well aware that a determined cat will find a way in...I just don't think she would be all that motivated to scale a wire fence. I think I'll go ask the neighbors if she is a hunter. Then I'll make a decision from there. If she is constantly chasing mice and catching little birds, she may have more of a drive to attack my girls...at least from what I've been reading. She may just be curious. Just like my dog was when they first got here, but she was not at all interested in pouncing them. My guess is she would be more friends with the girls, but I really can't bet on that.

Thanks again. I appreciate all the "heads-up" information. I do want to do what I can to make the girls safe, but I really don't want them to have to be in a small run to make 100% sure of it. I think they will be happier out and about with a safety assurance of 85% percent.
wink.png

Thanks again.

Bree

I'm willing to take the risks with hawks to allow them to free range. Technically it's not free range since I'm keeping them in my small yard, but you know what I mean. There is always a cost/benefit/risk analysis and I think the benefit of them free ranging is better than the small risk of the hawk thing.

I talked with my neighbor. She said the cat does hunt often. She is going to bring her over on a leash in the backyard and we're going to see what she does. She thinks we will be able to make the cat afraid of the chickens if she isn't already afraid on her own. There are 4 of them and she is littler than them. She said we can squirt her with water if she goes near them, but I don't know...we'll see. I'm hoping she is afraid of them and they chase her!

Bree

I had very same trouble with stray cats and fix it. Used wire folded into a 90 degree, then screwed on the fence from inside. It's barley noticeable when ya stand back 10 feet.

I had stray cats getting in my back yard, then through my cats doggy door eating her food inside the house! This simple fence and I haven't seen a stray cat in 6 months.

Looking down
35.jpg

Looking up
2010-09-04_14-41-00_713.jpg

Hi, I have seen a lot of replies from Chicken people, but not anybody that says they are a cat person. I am that cat person.

Our cat Tigger is mean. Actually as far as I am concerned he is related to Satan. He latched onto my hand one time and the only reason he still walks on Gods green earth is my adult daughters would disown me for "putting him down", even though that almost happened in the heat of the moment. Well enough of that. As far as chickens and birds, Tigger enjoys our girls very much. He will sit and just watch them. (So will Fluffy, but she is a puss.) The chickens run up to the cats, and the cats just sit with a *yes?* expression on their faces. You know the antics of chickens, well the cats like to watch and be amused by them too. So, back to Tigger (grrr) not only does he enjoy them, he will fight for them. He got into the face of a fox one day (Can you believe? Cat took on a FOX and lived) and has no problem getting between the neighbors dog and "his" girls. One more comment, cats and chickens have been peacefully co-existing on farms for hundreds of years. Just don't trust cats and chicks.

God Bless, peace, out.

Thank you for the additional help.

I was thinking of something like that for a fence, but I think she would probably just jump it and teeter on top. Not sure though. I was going to extend it and then have it go out like that. Right now I'm leaning towards just seeing how she is with them and making a decision after that. I'm going to see if the neighbor can come over soon so I can have my answer...or at least more information.

Thanks for the info on Satan cat too! Seems to be a common thing...even mean cats or super hunters don't bother with the big girls. If mine are almost 4 months, that's big enough, right?

Thanks again.

Bree

Back
Top Bottom