Cat - what are my options?

mediazeal

Songster
10 Years
Feb 26, 2009
I just had my second chicken killed in about 6 months time by a neighborhood cat. I have not been able to yet find the owners. They are either not fessing up or it's at one of the houses that wasn't home on my first sweep.

What might work? I live in a neighborhood, so no guns. I dont' want to kill it, so please don't suggest SSS, I already know about that. I'm looking for non-lethal ideas.

Does the 'keep cats out' netting at the tops of fences work?
Could I hotwire the top of a fence or would he just jump over that?

I prefer the neighbors keep him in their yard somehow but keeping him out of mine is most important to me

I do have 2 dogs but they like to come in when it's hot and are not out patrolling for mr cat.
the chickens really really want out when it's hot so they can get to the cool wet ground (their pen is in the shade too)

Are there any other deterents you know of and can suggest?

I'm afraid I might catch a skunk, possum or raccoon if I put out a have-a-heart trap
my hens are in a safe coop so not worried about the night critters
but they are hating not being able to free range in our fenced yard because of this cat
thanks for your thoughts

Last edited:
Trap it and bring it to a shelter as a stray.
Please dont shoot it or drown or poison it,
its just being a cat, doing whats natural to it, and it deserves a humane death by a vet.

Quote:
You are preaching to the choir. I prefer a non-lethal solution. I dont' wnat to live with having killed it for just being a cat.
However, I am also looking for a way to keep this one and any others away from my girls.
I want my hens to have access to my whole yard as I got them originally to eat the ticks that a skunk left in my yard when it died. They have cut down the infestation but it's a big yard, and they are not all gone. (my yard is organic, no pesticides)
So I could confine them to a pen or figure out some way to deter cats from my yard
I already have dogs
I"m looking at these different guaranteed solutions, wondering if anything really works
thanks for your response.

Do you have your own cats? My 3 cats know that the chickens are pets and do not bother them. They also keep neighborhood cats out of our yard.

Quote:
As a cat owner, I can't help but disagree with shooting the cat. On the same hand, I love my chickens...I guess this is a tricky one. My 3 cats DO got into other people's yards simply because they are cats and pretty much ignorant to property lines. They do not bother other animals, but they do eat mice, moles, birds, and pretty much anything else they can catch. They have never bothered the chickens, even when I first brought them home. People don't seem to believe that all of my animals tolerate one another, but is is a daily occurance that the 5 chickens, 2 dogs, 3 cats and the human family are all out in the backyard at the same time.

Last edited:
If you catch a skunk, possum or raccoon that is a plus IMO. Because if a cat can get in there so can one of them and they will likely do a lot more damage. I personally would set a trap and get rid of anything it catches weather via a pound or other (in cases of the other animals).

Mine do not... mind you we have a good distance from our place to the next house... most people don't believe it as well when my cat, dogs, ducks, sheep, pigs, goats, geese, turkeys and pigeons are fed at the same time in one place....
wink.png

How are you certain it was a cat? Have you seen it? Was it the same cat both times? I ask this just so you know for certain what you need to protect your chickens from. Other day-time predators are hawks and dogs. Maybe also raccoons.

It might be best to make a tractor in which to keep your chickens during the daytimes, it gives the best of both worlds. The chickens get to free-range in different places throughout the yard, but are still protected from predators.

Back
Top Bottom