Catching a Rooster with box and stick?

sphinxface

Songster
8 Years
Apr 7, 2015
Renton, Washington
There is an abandoned rooster across the busy road we live on and I've been brainstorming how to catch him.
He's been wandering around a wooded area but mostly around this little pond next to an eletctrical station. There is a driveway there so it would be easy to set up a little spot to catch and grab him pretty quick. I know that there are other posts talking about live traps but I was wondering if I could cobble together a big box with cardboard, set it up on one end with a stick tied to a string and pull it after he goes for some bait. Very primitive, seems silly, but it might work? My only concern would be that the cardboard wouldn't be heavy enough if he were to freak out and jump, but i think the box would be big enough that it wouldn't allow him time to escape from that.
My husband has been feeding him for a while now so he's at least a little used to being fed/given treats, but I feel sad that he's all alone over there. I think he'd be happier with some girls :)

I feel like the theory is sound but this also seems a bit ridiculous, I just wanted peoples thoughts on it before I attempted it.

Can you figure out where he's roosting? If not too high up in some tree, then that would be a fun adventure for you and your husband to take flashlights over there at night and just pick him up in the dark.

Bless you for trying to help him!

I love the idea, but I agree that the cardboard wouldn’t be enough to stop him from leaving, and he would also probably be hesitant to go into a closed space....

I agree w @Debbie292d - figuring out where he’s roosting is likely the best way to catch him more quickly.

If you aren’t concerned about that, personally, I’d probably consider taking a large dog crate out there, putting a long rope on the door (and just leaving it to lay on the ground so he gets used to that as well), and start putting the feed/ treats first just inside, and then further back in the crate. Once he’s comfortable going in for treats/ you see they are gone- you can camp out and use the rope to close the door? Just brainstorming.

I usually just grab one or two people to help me corral them and catch them.... but the busy road is not a small concern :hmm

Please let us know if you are able to catch him 🥰

Back
Top Bottom