Caught a couple predators last night. (graphic)

lagrange chicks

Songster
Jul 27, 2023
Wisconsin
I trap a few coyotes every year to keep them from killing fawns in the spring and now that I have chickens it's nice to thin them out some. This was a pair caught in cable restraints behind my house last night.

Attachments

• 20240113_092811.jpg
    20240113_092811.jpg
    575.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 20240113_093657.jpg
    20240113_093657.jpg
    544.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240113_101311 (1).jpg
    20240113_101311 (1).jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 32
Where are you at there? We live in Shawano County, toward Pella and there's constantly a pack we've heard every night for 7 years. When they get close the dogs start barking.

Yes coyotes can be nothing but trouble for people keeping poultry and wanting a healthy population of whitetails around their home. They kill too much. Sometimes you are doing the population a favor by the thinning out the pack. By taking two coyotes, it will only help the pack and a pair can be in cahoots when hunting.

Thirty years ago our DNR (Michigan) put coyotes in my area to kill the deer. It sounds like a good idea, but they also hunt lambs, sheep, chickens, etc. They also will cross with dogs which gives us coy-dogs. Worse than either coyote or dog.

They never took my chickens, but did kill a lovely ewe.

One end of my fenced yard connects to my coop and the other end my run (makes a big loop)My dogs help protect my chickens from predators but I only let my chickens out when I'm home. My dogs don't alert to cats unfortunately because we have cats .Bob cats are a huge threat here

We have coyotes here, and way too many deer! (Knocking hard on wood!) we've never had an issue with the coyotes, not having small dogs or sheep or goats. And our deer population is out of hand; fewer human hunters every year. I'm just as happy that we don't yet have black bears or cougars (some sightings, but not many) and especially no brown bears or wolves!
Our chickens have been lots to hawks occasionally, and raccoons and opossums before we had secure housing. Our worst single events were once to a sick mangy fox, who was eliminated, and to our dogs when we had fencing failures. Probably our fenced in large dogs discourage coyotes from getting to the chickens too.
Mary

We have coyotes here, and way too many deer! (Knocking hard on wood!) we've never had an issue with the coyotes, not having small dogs or sheep or goats. And our deer population is out of hand; fewer human hunters every year. I'm just as happy that we don't yet have black bears or cougars (some sightings, but not many) and especially no brown bears or wolves!
Our chickens have been lots to hawks occasionally, and raccoons and opossums before we had secure housing. Our worst single events were once to a sick mangy fox, who was eliminated, and to our dogs when we had fencing failures. Probably our fenced in large dogs discourage coyotes from getting to the chickens too.
Mary
In the past DNR would hire sharp shooters to thin the deer herd down in areas overpopulated and give them to the food pantry, but now I don't think they do that anymore do to CWD in the herd. Now the cars take a bunch and just rot on the side of the road.

Back
Top Bottom