Caught The Thief! Don't Mess With My Orpington!

Anyone have any tricks to get the skunk smell out?

Try this from the University of Nebraska extension - it is like a textbook on how to remove skunk odor from people, pets, clothing, buildings, etc.

Follow the directions for Paul Krebaum's formula and use an open bowl to mix it and use immediately. It turns the thiols into odorless acids. Tomato juice is messy, staining, and not as effective.

http://www.ianrpubs.unl.edu/live/g2100/build/g2100.pdf

Absolutely correct regarding racoons. Their skulls are remarkably similar to that of a bear (hence the Native American....scratch that, Indians...of which I am 1/4th) called them the little brother to the bear. Extremely clever, with the tools to wreak havoc wherever they roam. Too many folks have grown up on Disney cartoons, have never seen the real world of tooth and fang, red. And the little buggers carry ticks, fleas, and sometimes even rabies. Many times when we have camped in either state or national parks, people think they are so cute...until they discover the little bustards have gotten into their ice chests and made off with tomorrow's breakfast. They will eat anything available to them....the world is their smorgasbord....but it doesn't stop at just eating what they need to survive. You might find an entire flock decimated, but only one eaten. They are little killing machines. That's why they wear masks...so you can't identify them in a police line-up....
big_smile.png
And once they have gotten a taste for your flock, they will be back with all their little friends for a second helping. Watch some of the videos about trapping racoons...they tend to invade with a buddy or two. Very rarely is a single racoon on the prowl. Pack mentality, I guess, like coyotes. God forbid they get a hold of a small pet...will tear it up. Their paws can also open many simple locking devices, they don't give up easily. A .22 LR to the skull is a pretty good deterrent, but might take two or three depending on the size of the critter. When I hear folks saying that WE are invading THEIR space....I ask them when the racoons have paid property taxes....
lau.gif
...or a mortgage.

Totally agree. The eggs he stole were fertile and had been incubated by my hen for about 2 weeks so it was very necessary.

Coons are really pretty neat creatures, just not when they are after your chickens or eggs. They are also tasty.

Back
Top Bottom