Cause of chicken death

Falsa

In the Brooder
Feb 4, 2023
Hello, one of my hens recently passed away. I noticed that she was acting a bit strange, like she wouldn’t move much, she would isolate herself from the others, she lost her appetite and would no longer be fazed by mealworms. When I checked her out I realised her bottom what larger than usual and hard. During this time she was also panting and her bottom was contracting. I thought she was egg bound so I prepared her a warm bath of Epsom salt, however while doing so she died. We open her vent to see why she had died and all we saw was a lot of yellowish-whitish liquid. The tissue inside her was very bumpy and spotty. There was no egg inside her. I have no idea what was the cause of her death. I looked everywhere online but nothing seems to match her symptoms.
I have attached a picture of what it looked inside her vent.
If anyone knows what she has and why she died would be great. I just I want to know the cause to be able to move on.
Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• 653D80DE-D7BD-408A-8968-9B44369AAB32.jpeg
    653D80DE-D7BD-408A-8968-9B44369AAB32.jpeg
    184 KB · Views: 10
A lot of liquid you can look up water belly. I believe when transparent the liquid is a liver issue (ascitite) when yellow and opaque is internal laying (peritonitis)

Very sorry for your loss.

In order to ease your guilt, please read up on this... (I believe) There are no treatments to lead to health. All care is palliative, so even a vet would not have done more than an antibiotic and draining.

She went surrounded by friends and family. Spoil the others rather than beating yourself up with any shoulda/woulda/coulda script.

A lot of liquid you can look up water belly. I believe when transparent the liquid is a liver issue (ascitite) when yellow and opaque is internal laying (peritonitis)

Very sorry for your loss.

In order to ease your guilt, please read up on this... (I believe) There are no treatments to lead to health. All care is palliative, so even a vet would not have done more than an antibiotic and draining.

She went surrounded by friends and family. Spoil the others rather than beating yourself up with any shoulda/woulda/coulda script.
Thank you so much. This was very much needed

Back
Top Bottom