Cause of sudden onset bright green poop, slightly decreased appetite? (1 yo Polish hen)

Cinnaminute

Songster
Aug 19, 2022
Georgia, USA
Bird affected:
  • Tuesday I noticed my 1 year old Polish bantam hen (Ella) didn't eat very much. Later in the day while she was foraging, I fed apple slices to everyone. Ella ate every piece I gave her and didn't seem to have any lack of interest. I'd definitely say she seemed 100% normal at the time besides the fact that she didn't eat as much of her Flock Raiser as usual.
  • Wednesday morning when I went to do my rounds, I saw that Ella had been pooping green all night. I gave her some ACV and didn't let her out to forage. I can confirm she ate really good and had her appetite back. Even gave some tomato as a treat which she gobbled down and yelled at me when I had no more. She still pooped a runny green poop but it was definitely less vibrant and soon became more solid/brown come nighttime.
  • This morning I found that she again pooped green during the night. Poop seems to get more vibrant colored as the night goes on and is loose, but has the normal white cap. I put some NutriDrench in her water and can confirm she is eating fine still but her appetite has decreased again. I've yet to see her drink but I believe she is drinking. I offered some egg, which she was pretty happy about, but she didn't fill herself up on it as she usually does as if she doesn't have much of an appetite. Other than that, she's behaving and talking pretty normally, although she might have slightly less energy.
I will say that she began laying again a couple weeks ago and she hasn't laid for a few days prior to the green poop. But I thought egg bound symptoms were different than this? I've never personally experienced it though.

Other birds: I have 6 EEs that she forages with during the day, but I keep her separated anytime they go in the coop since they've had a history of bullying her and I'm working on making her a separate space. I also have 7 chicks I keep separate from everyone that I got February 10th. All of these birds are healthy so far (I've had a history with the one chick but she seems to be doing fine).

Question: What should be my process of elimination here? I've read up a bit on the causes of green poop. I have Corid on hand so I was thinking of treating her (then treating everyone later as well) just in case, if that's an okay thing to do. I can keep giving the NutriDrench so she has at least the nutrition if her appetite is going to be low like this. I felt her crop a bit (will get a better feel soon) and it just felt empty to me. She never did eat a ton and fill her crop to bulging like my EEs do. She doesn't feel as though she's lost weight, but I'm going to start weighing her so I know for sure. That's about all I can think of right now. I'm pretty frayed so I'm worried I might not make the correct decisions. My AC broke so it's pretty hot, Ella came down sick, I'm still worried about my chick Alice, and all this before my other chicks come in tomorrow among other things. Admittedly, I overwhelm easily but stuff just likes to pounce on a person all at once it seems. Thank you for reading!

Picture of poop: (last night's pile)
IMG_20230223_093129351.jpg

Video of bird: Besides her lack of interest in the egg (she could be full? but this is scrambled egg we're talking about, they have a second stomach when it comes to treats like I do!) she appears fine. But I know how stoic chickens can be too.

Poop like that, well formed and solid, indicates a food source for the green color. Poop with a pathogenic cause would be a deep drab green, formed in sausage shapes but very scant and in a base of white mucous.

Try to recall what this chicken has been eating over the past 24 hours. Leaves, seeds, and green veggies or fruits.

Here's a place to compare different poop and what it can indicate. https://thisnzlife.co.nz/what-your-chickens-poo-is-saying-about-their-health/

Last edited:
@azygous Tuesday was the last day she was out foraging. So for the past 44 ish hours she's been eating only Flock Raiser, a little red tomato, and a little scrambled egg. That's why I'm so alarmed. She might've gotten ahold of the dog's burger on Tuesday and it had cheese on it...

And thank you for the link.

its untellin with that menu, eats more than i do lol .. im sure its fine, i wouldnt feed birds too much wet, alittle, ok ...

If you have red soil your chickens peck at for grit, there is a chemical reaction that can produce iron sulfide and that can color chicken poop green.

Less likely is a chemical reaction inside the chicken's own body where a blue-green component of blood passing out of the liver can produce a green "dye" that can spill over into the poop from the blood stream and color it green.

All together, none of these are causes for much worry.

@azygous Thank you very much for your insight. I guess time will only tell. I'll continue with the NutriDrench off and on for now to keep her nutrients up.

She could've ingested some red clay, very very possible. I had no idea that's a thing so thanks for that too. Typically it's sandy loam but there are clay patches.

I'll do some research just in case, but do you know any good threads about caring for a chicken with liver problems? Any special diet or you think it being 90% Purina Flock Raiser is fine enough?

Thank you again so so much!

Liver disease isn't really treatable other than watching the weight of the chicken so the liver isn't burdened by fatty deposits.

I'm almost 100% sure this isn't a liver problem, though. Getting this iron sulfide from red soil is not harmful. You can even experiment and give the chickens a clump of it and then watch to see if green poop follows.

This issue with green colored poop such as your chicken produced crops up from time to time on BYC. Other colors, as well. Most can either be traced to foods or colored soil.

Sick chickens produce runny poop, usually with mucous in it, and they act sick. Weird poop happens all the time. But weird poop showing up at the same time a chicken is acting sick and off their feed, is a red light indication further action is necessary.

@Cinnaminute @azygous

Having a similar(ish) issue I am noticing with my roo. He’s 3. We changed their feed over the winter but these findings are recent.

I saw your thread and figured I’d reach out and tag you all. Only having Green poops for maybe the last week or two. Smaller than you’d expect for an adult bird. Has been hanging out in the coop slightly more than usual. Coming out to occasionally socialize and drink water unless they’re free ranging, he’s with the group. I felt his crop and I am concerned it might be impacted? As there seems to be a larger “bulge” which could also explain his less than usual appetite? I have attached a picture of the green poop in question. Any insights as to what is causing this? He is otherwise normal. He is a bit odd/quirky at his baseline and tends to keep to himself or spend his time lounging around.

Any insight or advice would be welcomed and appreciated!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    744.8 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom