malkymick

Hatching
Jul 9, 2019
Hello
I recently became the parent to two cayuga ducks (1 male 1 female) this spring. We purchased a chicken coop about a month after keeping them in a smaller cage when they were ducklings. The new coop has a fenced in area and a coop that they must walk up a ramp to get to. The ducks love the coop when they are in it but the hassle is getting them in there. I have tried so many different attempts I am running out of solutions and I dont want to get rid of them.
My main questions/concerns are:
1) Is it possible to get ducks to walk up ramps?
2) How can we get them to voluntarily enter their run? (Sometimes it takes me up to 45 minutes to herd them into it)
3) Are there any modifications/tips/tricks any duck owners have that would help end me amd my ducks stressful nights?
Please help
McKenna

Hello
I recently became the parent to two cayuga ducks (1 male 1 female) this spring. We purchased a chicken coop about a month after keeping them in a smaller cage when they were ducklings. The new coop has a fenced in area and a coop that they must walk up a ramp to get to. The ducks love the coop when they are in it but the hassle is getting them in there. I have tried so many different attempts I am running out of solutions and I dont want to get rid of them.
My main questions/concerns are:
1) Is it possible to get ducks to walk up ramps?
2) How can we get them to voluntarily enter their run? (Sometimes it takes me up to 45 minutes to herd them into it)
3) Are there any modifications/tips/tricks any duck owners have that would help end me amd my ducks stressful nights?
Please help
McKenna

Attachments

• 20190528_092958_1559355987386(1).jpg
    20190528_092958_1559355987386(1).jpg
    773.5 KB · Views: 19
I tried everything to get ours to go up a less steep ramp than that. No luck.
What did you end up doing to get yours into the coop? I have heard steps are sometimes good but i dont want to waste money on something that will not work again

I have a coop that is similar. Mine absolutely refuse to go up the ramp, so we removed it and the top is essentially useless now. I get my ducks in every night by having the routine of bringing their food and water in. They know when I start walking to get their food that it’s time to go up for the night. Routine and time is definitely what you will need. It took mine a little bit of practice and now they just go right in.

Did you have predator problems? I am worried if I leave them in thd bottom run without putting them in the top part they risk being eaten.

I have a coop that is similar. Mine absolutely refuse to go up the ramp, so we removed it and the top is essentially useless now. I get my ducks in every night by having the routine of bringing their food and water in. They know when I start walking to get their food that it’s time to go up for the night. Routine and time is definitely what you will need. It took mine a little bit of practice and now they just go right in.
Also i live where it snows which really makes the matters worse :(

The level below the coop is enclosed on three sides which is why I call it a coop/run. We had one near fatal attack before I put hardware cloth on the outside and repaired the inside. I also put a third strand up for the electric fence around it. No problems since.

Ducks handle steps pretty well. They need to be longer though like cement blocks. My ducks go up and down a ramp that I had my husband put lathe strips on.

We have a ramp into the coop for the ducks, just like our chick coop, and they do just fine. Then, for our pool, we have a ramp going in, and pavers as steps to get out.

Back
Top Bottom