cayuga duck thread

Pics
Getting ducklings, etc to drink and eat is easy using laser light pointer. :)
My dogs guard the ducks, especially my ol (15+) white german shepherd (80-100+pnds depending), as she steals ducklings and chicks from mammas and tries to nurse them or something (squashed three new large poults). gods help anything that attacks them as she breaks other dogs etc spines with a quick bite and thrash of her jaws. she was a colt, cat, goose, duck, chicken, killer and egg stealer supposedly when took her in. she went for two cats and two chickens at first of mine. just jerking slip lead light and quick toward me, releasing just as quick, as kneed her hip pushin out, to put her off balance and show control ( second slip lead around wais at hips can be used as well for more disabled etc people), combined with deep guick short verbal command (repeating as needed for However long takes for dog to relax and stop trying to look at animal/s, turning slip lead into halter lead or muzzle if dog turns frustration on you), was enough to show her I'm boss she has to obey me. unlike beating hell outta her that previous owner said to do.. which obviously didn't work for many years he had. she bonded instantly to ducklings that hatched soon after got her and ran under her for warmth and protection from various things. she now guards a chicken nest that she even growls at me when i take eggs. lol. its silly funny the ducks stand with her whenshe narks and they hiss and strike at from under and around her (scovys). i wonder if getting her baby geese would make them super bold confident and protective as scovy and layer mixes (they were skiddish inside, since put out and she took on they fear nothing), are from her mothering..

Last edited:
Here are my new Cayuga ducklings with their adoptive mommy Ebony.

I put grow gel in their water and dipped their bill in until they drank.
isn't grow gel the stuff you add to water and then it makes green jello like stuff? i usually just add sav a chick that has electrolytes and other good thing in it. though the place i got my ducks from did put in the green jello grow gel stuff in with them to eat on their journey to me

Back
Top Bottom