cayuga duck thread

Pics
What food do you feed them ?

I've started my geese ( who are addicted to dog food ) only on corn , like the kind you feed horses and cattle , which they were raised on eating till the got into my dogs bowls anyway I've put them up in there large coop for a while and only giving them corn so they did start to eat some of it but when they're hungery enough they do eat it .

My advice to you is to ONLY give them the regular feed and maybe put them up if they're free range and that way they'll probably start eating they're normal food

What food do you feed them ?

I've started my geese ( who are addicted to dog food ) only on corn , like the kind you feed horses and cattle , which they were raised on eating till the got into my dogs bowls anyway I've put them up in there large coop for a while and only giving them corn so they did start to eat some of it but when they're hungery enough they do eat it .

My advice to you is to ONLY give them the regular feed and maybe put them up if they're free range and that way they'll probably start eating they're normal food

That's a good idea. But isn't an all corn diet bad?

My 18 one-week old Cayuga ducklings are currently in a kennel in a spare room. The temp in the room has stayed pretty much in the low 80's day and night (I have the AC vent closed in that room). I have their nursery ready in the duck coop (isolated area, secure, they can see the adult ducks and the adults can see them) and the temps outside are running in the 70's at night and the low 90's during the day. I am planning on moving the ducklings out to the nursery this weekend (they will be almost 2 weeks old then). My main concern is the daytime heat as opposed to anything else. I have a heat lamp if they need it at night but don't want them to overheat and get sick or worse in the day. Do those of you with experience think they will be o.k. and/or what do you suggest I do the help them stay cooler during the heat of the day. I put jugs of frozen water in with my chickens and it helps, should I try that?

My 18 one-week old Cayuga ducklings are currently in a kennel in a spare room. The temp in the room has stayed pretty much in the low 80's day and night (I have the AC vent closed in that room). I have their nursery ready in the duck coop (isolated area, secure, they can see the adult ducks and the adults can see them) and the temps outside are running in the 70's at night and the low 90's during the day. I am planning on moving the ducklings out to the nursery this weekend (they will be almost 2 weeks old then). My main concern is the daytime heat as opposed to anything else. I have a heat lamp if they need it at night but don't want them to overheat and get sick or worse in the day. Do those of you with experience think they will be o.k. and/or what do you suggest I do the help them stay cooler during the heat of the day. I put jugs of frozen water in with my chickens and it helps, should I try that?

I recommend waiting month to do that .

you can try getting the ground wet all around them for daytime. Just so they can lay on cool ground and they're feet don't burn. The frozen jugs is also a good idea. Make sure they have shade to escape the sun if they get too hot. And just provide lots of water. If they look cold at night time, snuggling and hiding their head under their wings, you can turn the heat on and if possible point it towards a different direction then where they're laying, so they have an option. Hope I helped : )

Back
Top Bottom