cayuga duck thread

Pics
What is the difference in cayuga and east indies as far as appearance? I can't tell a difference from the pics here and our supposed to be west indies duck. Very pretty either way.
As I understand it the Cayuga is a black duck with black feet and black bill. The feathers have a green sheen in the right light. The East Indies duck is actually a very dark green duck...not black...that is even more green in the right light.

I only have two at the moment, but will be getting more eggs in a couple days to incubate. I love my little Cayugas!

This is Salt. Is it normal for Cayugas to have so much yellow on their heads??
I think Salt is a Ancona .

I only have two at the moment, but will be getting more eggs in a couple days to incubate. I love my little Cayugas!

This is Salt. Is it normal for Cayugas to have so much yellow on their heads?? I was quite surprised when this guy hatched out.

And this is Pepper. :)
While it is not uncommon for Cayuga ducklings to have some white/yellow/beige on their neck and/or chest they will usually mature and their adult feathers will be black. I have never seen a Cayuga duckling with as much light coloration as Salt has but that does not necessarily mean that he is not a Cayuga. Time will tell. What ever he is ... he is a beautiful duckling. NOTE: he has the black bill of a Cayuga. Does he also have black legs and feet?

I think Salt is a Ancona .

The place I got my eggs from does not have that species (just Pekin, Muscovy, Welsh Harlequin, and Cayuga). I just looked Anconas up and they are beautiful! Kind of wouldn't mind if he were somehow magically an Ancona. ;) But it did cross my mind that perhaps he is a hybrid? His egg was very dark grey, which fits with a normal Cayuga.

While it is not uncommon for Cayuga ducklings to have some white/yellow/beige on their neck and/or chest they will usually mature and their adult feathers will be black. I have never seen a Cayuga duckling with as much light coloration as Salt has but that does not necessarily mean that he is not a Cayuga. Time will tell. What ever he is ... he is a beautiful duckling. NOTE: he has the black bill of a Cayuga. Does he also have black legs and feet?

He does have all black legs and feet, but his lower bill does have some lighter mottling on it. An odd little guy, but I love him! But yes, we will see soon enough when he gets his big boy feathers in. ^-^

The place I got my eggs from does not have that species (just Pekin, Muscovy, Welsh Harlequin, and Cayuga). I just looked Anconas up and they are beautiful! Kind of wouldn't mind if he were somehow magically an Ancona. ;) But it did cross my mind that perhaps he is a hybrid? His egg was very dark grey, which fits with a normal Cayuga.

He does have all black legs and feet, but his lower bill does have some lighter mottling on it. An odd little guy, but I love him! But yes, we will see soon enough when he gets his big boy feathers in. ^-^
While there is a chance of a hybrid with one of the other breeds I am guessing that based on bill and leg/foot color he is at least 95% Cayuga. What ever he turns out to be he is a beauty right now just the way he is.

This is my very overweight drake, Jade XD I was hoping for a girl when I had named him Jade and the name just stuck so I never changed it when I found out it was a boy. I couldn't get good pics of all his pretty colors he has :/

Back
Top Bottom