cayuga duck thread

Pics
Wanted to share updated pictures of my Cayuga flock. Seventeen total, 3 drakes and the rest females. These will be the beginnings of a breeding flock I hope.

They are 13 weeks old at this point and there are already a couple of the females doing the head bobing thing to the drakes. The drakes are not old enough yet to even be slightly interested though.

This is my original mixed flock of ducks, Khaki Campbell and Blue Swedish. The male Khaki has one goal as regards the Cayugas...kill the males...so I am having to keep them apart. I would have to do that anyway to avoid cross breeding.

Wanted to share updated pictures of my Cayuga flock. Seventeen total, 3 drakes and the rest females. These will be the beginnings of a breeding flock I hope. They are 13 weeks old at this point and there are already a couple of the females doing the head bobing thing to the drakes. The drakes are not old enough yet to even be slightly interested though. This is my original mixed flock of ducks, Khaki Campbell and Blue Swedish. The male Khaki has one goal as regards the Cayugas...kill the males...so I am having to keep them apart. I would have to do that anyway to avoid cross breeding.
Where did you get your Cayugas from? I purchased 3 hens and 1 drake from Ideal hatchery, but would like a couple unrelated hens. My flock must be small, but I do want to ensure their health as a breeding flock.

The males were from a local farm. The females were from Ideal. I will be adding to the flock from probably Metzer. Then putting them in groups of one male with several females making sure to keep the related birds separate. I am just hoping to have some luck this spring. I have never intentionally done breeding before.

The males were from a local farm. The females were from Ideal. I will be adding to the flock from probably Metzer. Then putting them in groups of one male with several females making sure to keep the related birds separate. I am just hoping to have some luck this spring. I have never intentionally done breeding before.

Where are you located? Maybe your local farm has 2 females I can purchase.

I noticed that some of your ducks have crests. Was that intentional? You do know that the crest is a skull deformity and to never breed a crested to a crested, right? My first ducks were cresteds and I didn't know about the skull deformity when I got them.

I noticed that some of your ducks have crests. Was that intentional? You do know that the crest is a skull deformity and to never breed a crested to a crested, right? My first ducks were cresteds and I didn't know about the skull deformity when I got them.
Yes and that is always a chance when you get waterfowl from Ideal. They state that they may include crested in your order. I even requested that they not but ended up with two crested females anyway. They will be pets and not breed girls.

I am located about half way between Lawn, TX and Coleman, TX south of Abilene. Where are you?

Yes and that is always a chance when you get waterfowl from Ideal. They state that they may include crested in your order. I even requested that they not but ended up with two crested females anyway. They will be pets and not breed girls. 

I am located about half way between Lawn, TX and Coleman, TX south of Abilene. Where are you?

I am in San Antonio.

Back
Top Bottom