cayuga duck thread

Pics
What breed of geese do you have?
I want to get two in the spring but so many people have told me not to because they are aggressive?
Do you know what.. I have never tried water melon but I have one in the fridge!
I will try that tomorrow! :D

What breed of geese do you have?
I want to get two in the spring but so many people have told me not to because they are aggressive?
Do you know what.. I have never tried water melon but I have one in the fridge!
I will try that tomorrow! :D
You have never tried water melon or you have never tired your ducks on it? lol
My geese breeds are 1 Embden gander who was hatched here by a Muscovy duck he is 7.5yrs old 2 Toulouse geese 1 is female she is 2.5yrs old the other is 4 months and not sure on sex yet. then I have a American Buff female she is 4 months old. If you decide to get geese go with a docile breed, Buff, Sebastopol, Toulouse, Pilgrim they are more of the laid back breeds, then you start getting into the more aggressive with Africans, Chinese, Embden but even in those breeds you can have good tempered. During mating time of year is when things can get a bit rough those ganders are awfully protective of their mates and babies. But I sure do love them all.

Don't know when the breeding season for Cayuga ducks is, or for ducks in general. I am guessing the Spring. However, my females are ready and my males are not. The girls are bobbing their heads up and down and chasing the males around the field. The males are all like "get away from me" and are not sure what is going on. They are all 18 weeks old.

Don't know when the breeding season for Cayuga ducks is, or for ducks in general. I am guessing the Spring. However, my females are ready and my males are not. The girls are bobbing their heads up and down and chasing the males around the field. The males are all like "get away from me" and are not sure what is going on. They are all 18 weeks old.
Mating season for my Muscovy's is over for the year. This year they started early in late Jan. Honestly you'll know the boys will be chasing down the girls.

Sebastopol's look so beautiful. I am thinking of getting two in the spring.
Haha.. I have tried watermelon but my ducks never have until this morning.. it wen't down a treat!
I went for a stroll with Sybil around the garden and had a nose in the window. She's a little love!

Sebastopol's look so beautiful. I am thinking of getting two in the spring.
Haha.. I have tried watermelon but my ducks never have until this morning.. it wen't down a treat!
I went for a stroll with Sybil around the garden and had a nose in the window. She's a little love!

Sebbies are beautiful and laid back from all I have read. come join us on the goose thread there is a Sebbie thread there. Kinda quiet over there this time of year since breeding season hasn't started yet and egg laying isn't till next year. Although some of us are seeing breeding already. Sybil is beautiful

Thank you Lydia! I will pop over and have a chat!
Would you recommend getting the eggs and hatching them myself so they imprint on me?

I just love Sybil.. she has cheered me up after some bad news about my eyes due to diabetes! It's as if she knew I was upset!

Last edited:
Thank you Lydia! I will pop over and have a chat!
Would you recommend getting the eggs and hatching them myself so they imprint on me?

I just love Sybil.. she has cheered me up after some bad news about my eyes due to diabetes! It's as if she knew I was upset!
They do have a special way of knowing when we need a special touch. I'm also very sorry about your bad news also..
hugs.gif
from way over across the sea.

We got 2- 2 day old goslings this past June when my gooses only egg that got to hatch died in the shell, and they imprinted on my dh and I so well I was amazed. but Gozzies are different than ducklings and imprint alot better. so It's up to you
smile.png
at 3 weeks we gave the 2 goslings to our 2 adults and they have been a flock ever since.

Last edited:
Does anybody know where I can get Cayuga ducks in CT, MA or RI? I am looking for a young breeding trio or young ducks.

Back
Top Bottom