cayuga duck thread

Pics
EUREKA!!!! My first Cayuga egg. I have 14 Cayuga females that are 22 wks and 1 day old today. They are due to begin laying but with the cold weather I sort of gave up hope...at least for the time being. Well I just went out to clean out their pen and fluff their bedding and what should I find...our first Cayuga egg.

The egg on the left is from one of my Khaki Campbells who have been laying an egg a day since they started almost like it was their religion. The one on the right is the Cayuga egg. It is a deep grey/olive. I am so excited but I don't know which one of them to hug. Guess I will just have to hug them all.

EUREKA!!!! My first Cayuga egg. I have 14 Cayuga females that are 22 wks and 1 day old today. They are due to begin laying but with the cold weather I sort of gave up hope...at least for the time being. Well I just went out to clean out their pen and fluff their bedding and what should I find...our first Cayuga egg.

The egg on the left is from one of my Khaki Campbells who have been laying an egg a day since they started almost like it was their religion. The one on the right is the Cayuga egg. It is a deep grey/olive. I am so excited but I don't know which one of them to hug. Guess I will just have to hug them all.
Awesome Congratulations..

Last edited:
It just dawned on me. If one has started to lay eggs then the others might not be far behind. I don't know if ducks lay eggs year round (my Khakis do but they were bred to do that) but if they do I could end up with a whole bunch of Cayuga eggs each day soon. Once breeding season begins I will start incubating them. OMG little ducklings everywhere!!!

It just dawned on me. If one has started to lay eggs then the others might not be far behind. I don't know if ducks lay eggs year round (my Khakis do but they were bred to do that) but if they do I could end up with a whole bunch of Cayuga eggs each day soon. Once breeding season begins I will start incubating them. OMG little ducklings everywhere!!!
Yes beautiful lil ducklings everywhere. I'm not sure about Cayugas if they lay year round. or if they are seasonal. But your right most likely you'll see them all start soon if one has. You just may have to send me some eggs one of these days.
smile.png

Yes beautiful lil ducklings everywhere. I'm not sure about Cayugas if they lay year round. or if they are seasonal. But your right most likely you'll see them all start soon if one has. You just may have to send me some eggs one of these days.
smile.png
If I can find the right packaging and know they are fertile I will be happy to do just that. Then you can have lovely little black fuzzy butts running around as well.

If I can find the right packaging and know they are fertile I will be happy to do just that. Then you can have lovely little black fuzzy butts running around as well.

I could let my Muscovy's who are fanatical about brooding hatch a few and they will think they are lil blk Scovys running around.
tongue.png

Last edited:
I could let my Muscovy's who are fanatical about brooding hatch a few and hey will think they are lil blk Scovys running around.
tongue.png
Love that as a foster family plan. The Cayugas are supposed to be pretty good sitters and mothers but I am not schooled in how to even go about that. Plus if most of them decided to do it at the same time I would not have the room. So I am going to try the incubator when the time comes.

Love that as a foster family plan. The Cayugas are supposed to be pretty good sitters and mothers but I am not schooled in how to even go about that. Plus if most of them decided to do it at the same time I would not have the room. So I am going to try the incubator when the time comes.
Oh but to let mama ducks have a go at it, you haven't enjoyed that yet watching mamas and ducklings waddling around. So sweet.

Back
Top Bottom