cayuga duck thread

Pics
My daughter purchased 2 cayuga ducklings this past weekend. We never had ducks before so we've been reading up on them the past 2 days. Question she had that i just can't seem to figure out is ... ive read (& please correct me if im wrong) they will start laying eggs somewhere between 14-20 weeks old but they are also seasonal layers (im assuming spring/summer) they are only 1 week old so wont be laying age til Aug/Sep ... will they start to lay eggs then or wait til next spring?

My daughter purchased 2 cayuga ducklings this past weekend. We never had ducks before so we've been reading up on them the past 2 days. Question she had that i just can't seem to figure out is ... ive read (& please correct me if im wrong) they will start laying eggs somewhere between 14-20 weeks old but they are also seasonal layers (im assuming spring/summer) they are only 1 week old so wont be laying age til Aug/Sep ... will they start to lay eggs then or wait til next spring?

It really depends on the duck. Spring ducklings will usually start laying the same year, unless they're a late bloomer. Summer ducklings will usually wait until the following spring... but again, it depends on the duck. I have four that are 9 weeks old yesterday, so I expect them to start laying before the end of the year, but it wouldn't surprise me if one or more decided to wait until spring.

Of course, my mallards (last year's late spring ducklings) started laying in January this year, so who knows?

Is this still an active thread..? If so, I have a ??? At what age do Cayugas get a drake feather?? My cayugas first time in the pond!!!

Have chickens but new to ducks...have 2 two week old black cayuga ducklings....not sure yet when they are old enough if I will put them in with chickens or set up a new separate area for them outside....can you guys post pictures of your duck house/run areas so I can get ideas of how to set mine up...

Have chickens but new to ducks...have 2 two week old black cayuga ducklings....not sure yet when they are old enough if I will put them in with chickens or set up a new separate area for them outside....can you guys post pictures of your duck house/run areas so I can get ideas of how to set mine up...

Mine is really basic and generic:

One of the two panels on the front of the house swings open as a big door. The pool will be getting replaced with a larger kiddie pool with a French drain system underneath it. The current one creates a giant stinky mudhole that the ducks love to play in.

The little duck house is gone now, that was for when we only had 2 ducks and needed an emergency shelter for them. Now we have six so we have the bigger, more solid house.

We made it out of pallets. It was cheap. It's ugly, but functional.

Awesome thanks I was thinking of using my old chicken coop, taking it apart & just using the house part, & fencing it in with a kiddie pool but wasn't sure...think that's what I'll try...will I need to put bird netting on top? Will they fly away or stay because there's food/shelter?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom