cayuga duck thread

Pics
I was looking to buy some fertile duck eggs to put in my incubator, and this guy says, I won't sell them to you, I'll give them to you, but I get half of whatever hatches. I was like SWEET!
So anyway, I'm going to be receiving 2 dozen Cayuga eggs on Sunday. I have hatched many chicken eggs in the past, but not ducks. Anyone have any tips for my first attempt?

It's got a fan and automatic turner.

Thank you in advance!

Cayuga, Blue Swedish or crossbreed...Not yet a week old and already double in size.
Big difference in size...Pinkie, Tiny and Deuce

Deuce is definite a mixture of color and Pinkie has a pink spot on each foot.

Sweet faces...they each have eye liner.

We tried part of a cherry tomato today.
She wants us to do what?

Messy eaters...

Well, I got my eggs. Candled them all and threw two away. One was cracked, the other completely blacked out inside. I let them rest overnight and put them in the incubator this morning. Not even an hour later one exploded and was completely rotten. The shell was so bad I was gagging. I took all the eggs out and cleaned the incubator. I also rinsed the rotten egg off the remaining eggs. The exploded egg broke the one next to it too. So there are 20 eggs left. I'm not feeling optimistic. Hopefully nothing explodes while I'm at work today.
1f615.png

Still waiting on some advice. I keep reading conflicting info on humidity. I guess I'll go with the spritzing once a day meathod and hope for the best....

Sixteen weeks seems a little early for Cayugas. My Runners all were laying at around 22 weeks, and they are a smaller breed. The very first egg was at sixteen weeks, four days, but then the rest came on board over the next six weeks.

I have just bought this 48 egg Incubator and it arrived yesterday.
I tried it out for 4 hours and it did everything that it was meant to. It rolled the eggs twice plus the temperature and humidity stabilised.
Has anyone else used one of these to hatch Cayuga duck eggs?
??? What is the best way to STERILISE this before I use it??? I'm,asking this because it is second hand and has been used only once. It looks clean but I want to be safe before I use it.
Also I have 3 ducklings hatching right now in my home made polystyrene box in my bathroom.
Ducks, ducklings and more ducklings every where lol

I have this incubator. I had to put a thermometer and hydrometer inside because the digital one isn't accurate. I'm incubation Cayuga in mine right now. So far so good.

Back
Top Bottom