Cayuga's - Drake or Duck?

Laurobee13

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 1, 2012
Clermont, GA
Hello! I have 5 Cayuga ducks that I raised from 1 week old. They are about 3.5 months now. At first, I was convinced they were all female. Then 3 of them showed curled tail feathers, and then a week later one more had curled tail feathers. I have read about how some females will have curled tail feathers, especially if there are no males in the group. I am wondering what the chances are of any of these boys actually being girls.

I'm trying to listen to their different sounds, but they sometimes make louder quacks, and other times the little raspy quacks. Also, they all have olive on their bills.

I want to have them vent sexed, but I have no idea who to call to have that done!

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks!

Hello! I have 5 Cayuga ducks that I raised from 1 week old. They are about 3.5 months now. At first, I was convinced they were all female. Then 3 of them showed curled tail feathers, and then a week later one more had curled tail feathers. I have read about how some females will have curled tail feathers, especially if there are no males in the group. I am wondering what the chances are of any of these boys actually being girls.

I'm trying to listen to their different sounds, but they sometimes make louder quacks, and other times the little raspy quacks. Also, they all have olive on their bills.

I want to have them vent sexed, but I have no idea who to call to have that done!

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks!
This happens in older females occasionally. If they have Drake curls then they are males. You will need to separate them because your 4 drakes will Gang Rape your Duck and she can be seriously injured or killed.

Where did you get these birds Cayugas and BEIs should never have brown on their chest.

The female is separated, and not happy to be alone; but for the moment until I can find more hens and trade out the drakes, its just safer for her.

I got the ducklings from a friend who got them at a JAX in Lafayette, CO.

Since they do have this brown/black color on their chest - I'm guessing they are a cross? I will take some close up pictures tomorrow and post them.

If she's extremely stressed out you can probably add one of the Drakes to keep her company. Pictures will help us confirm it but most likely they have been crossed with something at some point. Also
WelcometoBYC.gif

Okay, so now I am convinced that ALL 5 are drakes!!! Just my luck!!!! Here are three pictures, one showing the "female" with a tail feather that looks like it wants to be curled. Also, "she" does not have a black bill, hers is olive like the others!! The other picture is showing the brown that I am talking about, and the other is just of three of them together.

You do no have BEI as those as small like call ducks. These look like big ducks so I would say cayugas!
But based on the brown chest, they are definitely crosses. Pure cayugas will be solid black, no brown feathers, black feet and a black bill. They can have a crest though like the one you have.
My guess would be maybe they are crossed with a khaki campbell? One of my khaki hens hatched out 12 babies a few months ago. Some were pure khaki and some look very similar to yours, all black but brown on their chest. So my guess is that they bred with my cayuga drake.

They should all get along together as long as you don't throw a female in the mix. If they all have curly tail feathers, I would say you do have all males. The females have a very loud quack so that is something you would easily be able to distinguish.

The quack issue is another topic that is confusing me. My lil guys make loud quacks, but also the raspier softer quack. So confused! But I am going to a poultry swap tomorrow morning, so I am hoping some duck experts there can help me out!

You do no have BEI as those as small like call ducks. These look like big ducks so I would say cayugas!
But based on the brown chest, they are definitely crosses. Pure cayugas will be solid black, no brown feathers, black feet and a black bill. They can have a crest though like the one you have.
My guess would be maybe they are crossed with a khaki campbell? One of my khaki hens hatched out 12 babies a few months ago. Some were pure khaki and some look very similar to yours, all black but brown on their chest. So my guess is that they bred with my cayuga drake.

They should all get along together as long as you don't throw a female in the mix. If they all have curly tail feathers, I would say you do have all males. The females have a very loud quack so that is something you would easily be able to distinguish.
My pure cayugas have brown chests.
Also my female Cayuga is quiet and my drake quacks really loud.

Back
Top Bottom