Cayugas owners speak up please

Ravens are great usually, but putting out suet in fall, through spring stops them from eating young. they can gang up and mob cats to death and eat every scrap of flesh off them, in bitter winters (mostly maybe just pigeons rabbits squirrels chipmunks ect). I'm from northern WI.

We have Bald Eagles nesting near by. A few neighbors lost birds to them. We have the crows here eating the free feed we put out and have yet to have any taken by the eagles

Haven't had them yet. We have the feeders over on the far side of the property from the duck pen. That could be the reason we don't have issues. I think they rather the easy food though and the squirrels may have warned them about stealing from me. LMAO

I think crows are more of a problem for ducklings rather than adults. We have a lot of bald eagles in our area (highest population outside of Alaska in the US, I believe), but so far
fl.gif
they haven't scored- but not from lack of trying, lol. I have a lot of trees, shrubs, and my duck pergolas (a pallet with 2x4 legs about 2' tall) scattered around, making it difficult for the eagles to get a good flight path. I think there's enough other food sources available that the predators tend to just make half-hearted attempts here and then they go check out the river.

Odd i never thought much of bald eagles as more than scavengers of roadkill ect (why they get seen dead on or by roads so much), but had a young one come and grab a ringneck dove of mine, but neighbor cop shot it down from the tree then ect when saw it hit then perched there with it close to our balconies. why the just starting to mature eagle would bother with something so small i don't know.

I live in the city, suburbs that is, so my first thought of predator was cat or dog. I use to see hawks a few years back , not any more. But close by is a channel full of mocovies and mallrad. They have been there for ever. Is that false assurance? I still plan on a night pen back thought of giving them the yard during the day.

There are so many predators. Mink, fox, weasel, rat, raccoon, opossum, hawk, owl, etc. I am not sure where you are from, but I would do some research to find out what might be near you and thus giving you more insight as to what the right protection methods would be. Keep in mind, with preparation still accidents happen.

I'm down in Louisiana. Coon, pussom and hawks oh and rats. Coons very rare but a family of pussom nearby. Rats don't see them but I know they are there. Pets also cats mostly put dogs too.

Back
Top Bottom