Celery ?

Celery doesn't last with my birds. I'll hang a bunch in their fence, and they destroy it in a matter of hours.

I was trying to read up on celery, since it is left off many lists of treats for chickens. I found this bit about long pieces of grass interesting, sometimes I give my chickens long pieces of grass. Did I overlook something? Is that a bad thing? I always thought it was cute to watch them eating them, it sort of reminded me of spaghetti.
tongue.png

I ran a bunch of celery and carrots through the grating disc of my cuisinart this morning and my 8-week old girls chowed it down.
big_smile.png

I worry about giving them anything to stringy that might get impacted in their crops - so I grate things like this.

Can chickens eat raw celery ? I thought of chopping this up with the green from the stalks and feed it to them . Will this hurt them ?
they can eat it but because they do not have teeth they can't chew it and it my all get stuck in their crop... this has happened

I gave my chickens some celery AFTER I read this post, I had it chopped because I know they can't eat anything too big...been giving them romaine and shredded carrots as snack and never thought it would harm them...read an article saying it would kill them, cried a long time...I will be sure not to give them any more celery - there wasn't much - maybe 8-10 pieces total for my 8 birds....maybe cooked celery is better? I had some of that that I took out of a ham stock but decided to throw it all away, including some ham bits and cooked onion and garlic....

Back
Top Bottom