Cha Cha UPDATE: Calling All Crop Experts!

PostageStampRanch

Songster
6 Years
Apr 11, 2018
Hi Everyone,

I’m in need of some crop advice. Any help is much appreciated!

I have another recent thread with more detail/history. Responses dwindled & this is a different focus, hence the new thread. If you are curious and have time:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-crop-liquid-from-beak-wiggling-neck.1235189/

Here’s the latest -

1) What type of bird, age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others?)

Cha Cha is 7 years old and today weighs 3 lbs., 5 oz. (her baseline weight was 3 lbs., 12 oz.). She’s more of a racecar chicken, lean and corners quickly. ;) Her weight has gone up and down by ounces since I’ve been tube feeding her. She’s never had much fat to lose, so I’m very worried. I’ve read threads where they stated that their chicken lost half its weight. :eek:I can’t imagine that with Cha Cha.

2) What is the behavior, exactly?

The latest issue was today. Cha Cha regurgitated a sunflower kernel on 4/11. She regurgitated a second sunflower kernel this morning. BUT she hasn’t had access to BOSS (in the shell) for TWENTY DAYS because she’s been in the chicken hospital inside the house. Normally, she and her coop mate split a handful of BOSS daily. They’ve been eating like this for months, if not years. Her crop started out squishy and occasionally like a water balloon. It has become doughy in the last couple of days. It never completely empties. Even though it’s not hard, could I be dealing with an impaction? She tries to back away most times if I try to massage her crop, so I’m not sure if it’s uncomfortable or if it’s because she’s not exactly a lap chicken. Shortly after starting a crop massage, liquid backs up enough that she makes the drinking motion with her beak, so massages don’t last long.

The good news is her tail has been up more recently and she’s feisty (flapping up 1 ½ feet to the tub ledge if I don’t see the look of intent quickly enough). Maybe the Baytril is kicking in? :fl

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

Her crop has probably been slow since at least 4/2. It was squishy, but has not had a bad odor. Sometimes her neck/crop, wiggles to the side, somewhat like an “S”. It looks involuntary (?) or seems like she is trying to clear her crop. I saw this once back on 4/2, then 4/11, a few times on 4/13, once on 4/14, once on 4/15, a few times on 4/17, and a few times on 4/21.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all?

She stopped eating and drinking on her own around 4/1. I’ve been crop feeding her Kaytee Exact Hand Feeding Formula and liquids (including electrolytes and vitamins) since. She has eaten a few mealworms on her own. The last time, she thrashed them, but did not eat them. I offered one today, but she wasn’t interested.

Previous to her halt in eating she was daily given flockraiser crumbles (since she has not laid an egg in ~9 months) and BOSS with occasional fresh (not moldy) vegetables (cabbage, tomatoes, etc.) There is coarse sand in the chicken run and occasionally I would give my flock of two poultry grit (insoluble crushed granite), but I haven’t given it lately. There is no grass or straw available for them to eat. Upon closer inspection, it doesn’t look like there is much in the way of pebbles in the dirt where they free range. Is grit appropriate at this point? If so, since she is not eating on her own, is there a way to get grit in her?

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

There are poop pics in the previous thread. More recently, they’ve been mostly watery at times. Others are green, with a little white, sometimes with a hint of yellow added.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

I’m treating for infection and trying to balance fluids and food to address the green aspect of the poop. Her crop seems to only have so much room. I don’t want her to aspirate if her crop is too full.

Her crop seems to have gone from squishy to doughy recently since she’s been on antibiotics (Amoxicillin 4/12-4/18 and Baytril 4/21-current). I’m treating for possible yeast build up since yesterday with a home treatment recipe from TwoCrows’ article on impacted, slow, and sour crops.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...d-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments.67194/

I’m considering using Acidified Copper Sulfate for the doughy crop, but have to wait for it to ship to me. Can it be a yeast issue without any bad smell? I’m also concerned about eventually getting probiotics in her after using antibiotics. If I use Acidified Copper Sulfate it may be even longer before probiotics are an option.

10) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird until you can get to a vet?

If I can treat her myself, I’ll try. We really can’t afford the vet bills. I’m trying to get the crop moving and treat for possible infection. I now have access to Corid if that is appropriate. Unfortunately, my dewormers were long expired. I should receive Safeguard by tomorrow. From what I understand, if it is not an infection, it may be cancer. I would euthanize her if it’s likely cancer or the crop doesn’t straighten out.

Last edited:
Greetings PostageStampRanch,

Wow, a lot of medication and intervention for this hen.

I understand you are desperately trying to save your hen's life, but, chickens have a tolerance level, for medications, procedures and intrusions.

I have been going through almost the same situation with a couple of my hens. Since my flock was hit by Infectious Bronchitis, two of the hens have come close to death and had lingering issues with slow crop, and soft shelled eggs. These two hens have both had two different antibiotics for secondary infections. One hen is only a year and four months old, and the other is three years old. A CBC on the younger hen showed low Heterophils (a possible tumor), low blood sugar, high calcium and other problems. The vet put both on a second course of a different antibiotic. It did nothing for them.

Well, long story short...I have decided to heal them, as naturally as possible. The younger hen, developed a large amount of ascite swelling, could barely walk, and stopped eating. With aspirin treatment and special meals, she is now 100% recovered! The second hen has been sleeping in the hospital crate with a heat lamp since April 4th. After her antibiotic course was completed, she began to dwindle. She stopped eating, drinking, and her comb shriveled and darkened. After 19 days, she is out enjoying the sunshine and what ever she wants to do, right now is on the mend. I would say she is 75% recovered. She too, was put on Aspirin therapy, and Aloe Vera Detox 80. I believe this combination helped her turn the corner. Both hens had lost a significant amount of weight, which is expected.

Antibiotics can save a chicken's life, or it can bring them closer to death, by destroying their gut flora, encouraging yeasts and fungal growths. So, at this point more antibiotics can be detrimental to the health, and survival of the chicken. As for Copper Sulfate, I have never used it myself. It cannot be used in metal containers, and dosage must be accurate, as it can be toxic to chickens, if not used properly.

It's so much easier to let a vet fix the chicken, but, when they can't...what then? I have fallen into that ditch a couple of times myself! But, that's when I do what I do best, holistic healing. It takes research, patience, consistency, and working with the bird, talking to it, bonding, exercise, some physical therapy, monitoring progress etc.

Your chicken is at a point, the original infection is gone, but, she needs rehabilitation, and therapy to reset her digestive system. When birds are force fed by filling the crop artificially, the bird loses it's desire for food. It's hard to get them interested in eating the things they need to eat, mainly their feed.
  • First, the crop has to regain it's muscle tone; a crop bra and massage is the best way. Constant crop monitoring each morning, once they start to eat will be needed for a few weeks.
  • Address the doughy crop, the yeast builds up in a slow crop. This is why they regurgitate water and food. I use Nystatin and Lactulose to get things moving. In the days following, I administer a bit of natural crop tonic, that I make, if the hen needs it. If I see her yawning/adjusting the crop, constantly.
I can't guarantee any of what I did for my girls will help yours.

But, if you decide you would like to know more about the Aspirin, and Aloe Detox therapies, or crop tonic - email me here, and I will send the formulations to you.

I have to go out and attend to the chickens and do my chores now, but, will check my alerts and Inbox, at 8 p.m.

God Bless and peace to you :)

I don't think worming an already sick chicken is a good idea.
I would wait until she is eating and drinking on her own to do that.

Greetings PostageStampRanch,

Wow, a lot of medication and intervention for this hen.

I understand you are desperately trying to save your hen's life, but, chickens have a tolerance level, for medications, procedures and intrusions.

I have been going through almost the same situation with a couple of my hens. Since my flock was hit by Infectious Bronchitis, two of the hens have come close to death and had lingering issues with slow crop, and soft shelled eggs. These two hens have both had two different antibiotics for secondary infections. One hen is only a year and four months old, and the other is three years old. A CBC on the younger hen showed low Heterophils (a possible tumor), low blood sugar, high calcium and other problems. The vet put both on a second course of a different antibiotic. It did nothing for them.

Well, long story short...I have decided to heal them, as naturally as possible. The younger hen, developed a large amount of ascite swelling, could barely walk, and stopped eating. With aspirin treatment and special meals, she is now 100% recovered! The second hen has been sleeping in the hospital crate with a heat lamp since April 4th. After her antibiotic course was completed, she began to dwindle. She stopped eating, drinking, and her comb shriveled and darkened. After 19 days, she is out enjoying the sunshine and what ever she wants to do, right now is on the mend. I would say she is 75% recovered. She too, was put on Aspirin therapy, and Aloe Vera Detox 80. I believe this combination helped her turn the corner. Both hens had lost a significant amount of weight, which is expected.

Antibiotics can save a chicken's life, or it can bring them closer to death, by destroying their gut flora, encouraging yeasts and fungal growths. So, at this point more antibiotics can be detrimental to the health, and survival of the chicken. As for Copper Sulfate, I have never used it myself. It cannot be used in metal containers, and dosage must be accurate, as it can be toxic to chickens, if not used properly.

It's so much easier to let a vet fix the chicken, but, when they can't...what then? I have fallen into that ditch a couple of times myself! But, that's when I do what I do best, holistic healing. It takes research, patience, consistency, and working with the bird, talking to it, bonding, exercise, some physical therapy, monitoring progress etc.

Your chicken is at a point, the original infection is gone, but, she needs rehabilitation, and therapy to reset her digestive system. When birds are force fed by filling the crop artificially, the bird loses it's desire for food. It's hard to get them interested in eating the things they need to eat, mainly their feed.
  • First, the crop has to regain it's muscle tone; a crop bra and massage is the best way. Constant crop monitoring each morning, once they start to eat will be needed for a few weeks.
  • Address the doughy crop, the yeast builds up in a slow crop. This is why they regurgitate water and food. I use Nystatin and Lactulose to get things moving. In the days following, I administer a bit of natural crop tonic, that I make, if the hen needs it. If I see her yawning/adjusting the crop, constantly.
I can't guarantee any of what I did for my girls will help yours.

But, if you decide you would like to know more about the Aspirin, and Aloe Detox therapies, or crop tonic - email me here, and I will send the formulations to you.

I have to go out and attend to the chickens and do my chores now, but, will check my alerts and Inbox, at 8 p.m.

God Bless and peace to you :)

Hi HPJ,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post and congratulations on healing your hens! I agree that there are many ways to approach illness and I've been researching as much as I can while treating her. I'm using the home recipe in the link above since it's a more natural approach and only plan on using the Acidified Copper Sulfate, which does require careful measuring/handling, if this doesn’t work. Science is just recently discovering the importance of gut flora. This is my concern after using antibiotics and it affects my decision on using Acidified Copper Sulfate.

The Aspirin therapy and Aloe Vera Detox 80 are new to me. Please feel free to send your formulations. :)

Last edited:
I don't think worming an already sick chicken is a good idea.
I would wait until she is eating and drinking on her own to do that.

Hi KikisGirls,

Thank you for your feedback on my post! I've held off so far on the deworming since she's been sick. The Safeguard is now here for when it's the right time.

Back
Top Bottom