Chain link run & hardware cloth... 2 questions ?

mmaddie's mom

Songster
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
Elmwood, Illinois, USA
#1. Is 4 ft. hardware cloth up the side of the chain link run secure? Will a predator climb the hardware cloth to squeeze in through the chain link?

#2. How did you cover your chain link door and gaps on the sides so that it is secure and still useable... is that even possible?

#1...Depending on what you are trying to keep out. I have a very heavy predator load including snakes and weasels. I completely wrapped the sides and tops of my kennel runs with hardware cloth. Nothing larger than 1/2" is getting into my runs...guaranteed!

#2...When I did the kennel gates, the first thing to do is to remove the latch hardware. Then install a wooden frame for the gate to close against. I then used 1 1/2 metal strips installed as weatherstripping to cover any inconsistencies between the wooden frame and the gate. Installed latch and call it done.

42454_dsc00112.jpg

42454_dsc00110.jpg

42454_dsc00111.jpg

mmaddie's mom :

#1. Is 4 ft. hardware cloth up the side of the chain link run secure? Will a predator climb the hardware cloth to squeeze in through the chain link?

The only things that will go thru the approx 2x2 holes of chainlink are members of the weasel tribe. They are not big climbers but *can* climb. I would guesstimate the risk as 'very small but nonzero'. If the chickens are locked indoors at night, the risk is essentially zero.

Well obviously rats can get in thru chainlink too, but lotsa luck keeping them out -- they can/will climb to do that but they also will find other more ground-level openings you didn't know you had, or didn't have til the rats came by. Unless you have a big big rat problem I would not really worry about rat exclusion because it is approximately not gonna happen
tongue.png

#2. How did you cover your chain link door and gaps on the sides so that it is secure and still useable... is that even possible?

Sure it is. Block with lumber. Frame the opening with 2x6 or 2x8 so that the door closes flush against it and the gaps are blocked. Does that make sense? The wide dimension of the lumber is parallel to the fencing.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat​

Back
Top Bottom