Chalk one up for the dog......or should I say two

Chickending

Songster
12 Years
Jun 4, 2007
Minnesota
With all the negative info of dogs and chickens I thought I would share a positive dog happening....I was sitting in my run sunday afternoon in the shade enjoying watching the chicks with my pooch, Kody laying by my side. He has been great with the chickens and has never made an aggressive move towards them, but I still wouldnt trust any dog unsupervised. So Kody gets up and starts sniffing around a clump of weeds and all of a sudden....he pounces and out he comes carrying a mouse, big one too.....he of course kills it as the chickens are watching....probably thinking in their chicken minds..."saves us the hassle" or "what is the dumb dog doing" or "what is that weird looking chicken doing with the mouse in its mouth" .....so I proudly praise my dog as even though I am grossed out...he is rather proud of himself.....little bit later he goes back to the same group of weeds and comes out with mouse number two.......Considering he is part Pit Bull and a Boxer mix, it gives a warm heart to know there are some good ones out there.......

Side note....I have been very careful introducing my dog to the chicks from day one. He is well trained to begin with so I think it helps that he is that receptive to me. If he is chasing a bunny or squirrel, if I say "sit" he drops his butt down so quick you would think lightening struck. So from day one I let him sniff them, get familiar with them but never let him go beyond that. He comes in the coop with me in the mornings, and evenings and does chores with me. He sits on the bedding right amongst the chicks, I should get a picture of it sometime, they mill around him and he smells but so far has never made a move. So I watch carefully, as long as he follows the rules then he will be part of the "flock".
Every morning he makes a trip around the run and inspecting and smelling, sometimes "leaving his mark" I really think he is going around and making sure its all ok.

Just wanted everyone to know there are some good dog stories out there.....

Having your dog "mark" his territory around the outside of the coop may actually help keep other predators away.

chel

I have heard that too. We live in a rural area and there are alot of coyotes but they will never enter our yard nor do I see tracks of them in our yard. I think because Kody marks his territory and he runs a tight ship. We have seen them at night by shining a big spotlight but they will only come about 100 yrds from the yard and then they go around or turn back.

I wonder if he doesnt consider himself and me and the chicks as part of the "pack" or somthing. Its funny how a dogs brain works. But its really curious to see him go around the outside of the chicken run and mark his territory. At first I thought well what is he doing then he seems to do it every day so then I am like "ok there is something to this.".....

Back
Top Bottom