**Challenge** Everyone getting ready to make dinner, I need your help!

vfem

Yoga...The Chicken Pose
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
Fuquay Varina, NC
I am making this tonight, and its a recipe of my own concoction. Problem 1... its a pork recipe, and I don't eat pork. Problem 2... this recipe is being entered in a contest I WANT to win next month... Problem 3... its a recipe contest for APPLES and can't be a desert hence the pork recipe!

So what I need are people willing to try this recipe at home, taste test it and come back with opinions and changes... or just say it is BLUE RIBBON READY!!!
big_smile.png

Ok, so the recipe is
PORK AND APPLE POT PIE:

(Make changes where you feel you can't do what I am doing, but please note that in your replies)

1 lb Pork Lion cut into boneless style riblets (I bought Country Pork Boneless Riblets that are available here)
3 Medium (or 2 large) Russet potatoes, peels and cubed 1/4", boiled until a toothpick goes through clean but the potatoes are still firm, should be less then 10 minutes
3 Carrots cut into 1/4" cubes
2 celery stocks cut into 1/4" chunks
2 green onions (I debated on using a yellow onion, but these had nicer color)
3 Peeled and cored apples chopped into 1/4" chunks (I used winesap, about medium size. Chose a sweet apple with good cooking ability (not red delicious, or granny smith... maybe gala or red johnathon)
2 Tbsp fresh fennel tops/leaves (if not available crush up 1 Tbsp Fennel Seed)
1 Can (14.5 oz) can of vegetable stock
1 Tbsp unsweetended apple sauce (you can skip this I want it in mine, but I just wanted MORE apple)
1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
1/2 tsp sage
1/2 tsp paprika
1 Bay leaf
2 Sprigs of thyme Fresh * 1 Tsp dried should be fine
Salt and Pepper to taste (About 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper)
1 TBSP Corn Starch

Prepare your potatoes first, and set aside.
Then prepare your meat by searing, w/ 2 tbsp olive oil in a deep skillet, on both sides (salt and pepper the meat). About 3-4 minutes per side depending on the thickness of the meat, it can still be slightly pink in the middle.
Remove from heat and rest for about 10 minutes so you can handle it bare handed. When cool enough cut into chuncks about 1/4-1/2" cubes.

In the same skillet mix in all your veggies (if you didn't render much fat from the pork, add 1 more tbsp of olive oil). Cook about 3-5 minutes until your carrots are soft. Now add spices, salt, pepper, bayleaf, potatoes, meat chunks and apples. Cook for an additiona 2 minutes. Now add the 1 tbsp corn starch, stir in, then slowly add the can of veggie stock. Lastly add the apple sauce if you want it. Let the mixture thicken for 2-3 minutes on the heat and then remove from heat.

Put your pie crust in the tin/plate it will bake in. Pour in your meat filling and put the top crust on top. Brush on an egg white and water wash on top to brown the crust. Cut a few holes in the top for steam to escape. Put in a preheated oven at 375 degrees. Cook about 30-40 minute until crust is golden brown.

Then taste, and report back here!

Thank you to ANYONE and EVERYONE who want to take this challenge!!!

edited for bad spelling

Last edited:
Doesn't have to be tonight
wink.png
I'm making this right now... its only another 20 minutes in the oven in fact.

I have until Oct to figure out what recipe I want to enter. I am going to try a shepards pie with apples and mashed potatoes on top next. I am also going to try an apple and cheddar potato skins appetizer I'm throwing around some ideas for. I will share ALL these recipes in the challege for people to try as I get them together.
big_smile.png
Would love to know the best one to enter. $200 first prize... so going to have to try it!

Quote:
I admire your foritude on this task but I have an issue with this..................... As an accomplished cook I want to know why you are trying to cook a winning recipe if the main ingrediant is something your not wanting to taste or eat. I guess I am saying it sounds like you have some good ideas and are certainly no slouch in the kitchen, how can you know if you have acheived the taste you were looking for ??. do you think it's wise to enter a contest w/ a virgin recipe cooked by folks you don't know or their taste and abilities ???. I want you to win and do very well, but am I off base on this ?, perhaps a mother or inlaw friend anybody who could accompany you in the kitchen and help with that so you could actually see how the recipe takes shape and develops. Think about it................ I would be happy to give you an idea or two.

AL

I have cooked similar with chicken... which I may try another day. Also my family eats meats and stuff that I do not, and I cook it for them. So I get lots of advice from others on what works, and what doesn't to their tastes.... after all, I am cooking for judges, not myself.

Also, my issue seems to be that I know no one who wants to take on the task of helping me locally... my friend's prefer to cook via micowave rather then oven. My mother-in-law is going to give this a try from her house, but she lives no where near me.

I got the idea from 'flavors' people I've been asking would prefer. So I get a LOT of requests for pork from others when I say 'apple meal'. Not to mention... last year and the year before... the winning recipe had pork in it!

Last year I did an apple salad with an apple rhubarb vinagerette! I didn't even place... nothing placed that didn't have meat in it.
sad.png

So I had to view this not only from my recipe, but from my competition.
pop.gif

I will try anything that does not include pork or beef.

This is just my situation, or how I view it anyways...
yippiechickie.gif

So has anyone decided to have a go at this? I had 4 people love it and say they could really taste the apple not to change a thing, 1 person who said too many spices, and someone who said the spices were perfect, but needed less potato and more apple.

I just want to know if the apple is profound in the recipe enough, and if the taste is pleasing.... and if the recipe is simple enough.
big_smile.png

It could be duck... but I know my judges and I think they are southern pork fans!
wink.png

I am going to try this same recipe with chicken tomorrow night.

Go ahead and try it with any changes you want to make and then let me know what you changed, and what you think!
smile.png

Quote:
This is for the BEST apple recipe that is not a desert, and it has to be a main dish, side dish, salad or appetizer. But honestly, look back at past winners... all meat dishes.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom