Changes in Endangered poultry list!

Campine Lover

Songster
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
Moss Beach, CA
Whooooohooooo! I just checked out the endangered species list for poultry and it's been CHANGED! Many, many, many breeds have been taken off the Critically Endangered list (unfortunatly, other breeds have been moved up) Here they are; check out the site (American Breed Conservancy)

Critical-

Buckeye
Campine
Chantecler
Crevecoeur
Holland
Modern Game
Nankin
Redcap
Russian Orloff
Spanish
Sultan
Sumatra
Yokohama

Threatened-

Andalusian
Buttercup
Cubalaya
Delaware
Dorking
Faverolle
Java
Lakenvelder
Langshan
Malay
Phoenix

Watch-

Ancona
Aseel
Brahma
Catalana
Cochin
Cornish
Dominique
Hamburg
Houdan
Jersey Giant
La Fleche
Minorca
New Hampshire
Old English Game
Polish
Rhode Island White
Sebright
Shamo

Recovering-
Australorp
Leghorn- Non-industrial
Orpington
Plymouth Rock
Rhode Island Red - Non industrial
Sussex
Wyandotte

Study-
Araucana1
Iowa Blue
Lamona
Manx Rumpy (aka Persian Rumpless)
Naked Neck (aka Turken)

Last edited:
Personally I disagree with the removal of Wyandottes. Sure, you can buy a hatchery wyandotte from any hatchery, but if you know what a true Wyandotte looks like and how big they are, you know that the similarities pretty much end with the comb.

If you've shopped for some nice true Wyandottes, you probably understand my opinion on their rarity.

wait, modern games are critical? the last show i was at there were like 50! I know that doesnt guarantee they are breeding them, but there were a ton there.

Yeah I really hope they are NOT counting hatchery birds - They're so often crossbred, terrible quality, or "made." Also, you can find huge amounts of any "rare breed" in hatcheries. . . But that doesn't mean anything at all. I think a lot of those breeds should only be counted for people truly breeding and raising them to the standard.

That would make things like La Fleche, Redap, and Thai truly endangered.

I find it Bizarre that Faverolles were moved of the list. It is extremly difficult to find good quality faverolles in Standard or Bantam! I am sure the hatcheries have flocks and that is why they are off the list but they diserve to be on the critical list. There are very few breeders of Faverolles and even fewer good ones! I think the breed club has actually shrunk since they were put on the list!

What I love is that they have Rhode Island Red - "Non industrial" on the list, but they don't say which Rhode Island Red. Is it the Single Comb or the Rose comb?

Chris

Back
Top Bottom