Chantecler vs Buckeye

Dustinnvnorth

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 9, 2012
Reno NV
Does anyone raise both Chantecler and Buckeye chickens? They sound like similar breeds, dual purpose and cold hardy. Just wondering if there is much differences in them. Thinking about stock from a breeder.

Two excellent winter hardy homestead breeds worthy of breeding and preservation. I am a fan of both, will be rasing some Albertans this year, and can see adding both the Buckeyes and Iowa Blues as I can get pens built.

Two excellent winter hardy homestead breeds worthy of breeding and preservation. I am a fan of both, will be rasing some Albertans this year, and can see adding both the Buckeyes and Iowa Blues as I can get pens built.

How can you raise Buckeyes? You're from Michigan!
lau.gif

I'm also interested in a good informational response here. I like both breeds also, but I'm just a back yard keeper for fun so I don't really have space or desire to keep every single breed I'm interested in!

I'm still curious between the two as well since I'm pondering the same question. Both seem to be superb winter layers, great foragers, broody, good mothers, can withstand against harsh winters, have a wonderful temperment, & hardy. The only downside to me is the size of the egg they both lay: medium. If that's the only slight disadvantage, then I'm fine with it :) They are both goregous breeds & need help preserving them & their future.

Actually, Michigan is pretty cold. According to the National Climatic Data Center in Asheville, North Carolina, the average daily temperature in Michigan is 44.41ºF. That means that Michigan is the 11th coldest state in the U.S. By contrast, Ohio, where the Buckeye breed was created, has an average temperature of 50.68ºF, making it the 24th coldest state.

I've never personally owned either breed, but I had a good friend and neighbor who owned both breeds and he said that the Chanteclers were the slightly better (about 1 egg more per hen per week) layers than the Buckeyes. Otherwise, he felt that there was no advantage in one breed over the other.

Back
Top Bottom