Check my silkies for DQ's!

Jul 23, 2022
I have multiple silkies that I got from someone at the 2021 Ohio Nationals.
I paid the breeder $150 for a "show potential" pair. When I got them, I checked for mites and lice, plus checked for sneezing, discharge from the nose and runny eyes. They were both good. I got a black bearded silkie cockeral and a paint bearded silkie pullet. They were both 4 months when I got them. While looking at them, I was checking them per the Standard of Perfection. They both had mulberry combs and wattles, blue earlobes, and nice crests. But as the rooster got older, his comb changed from a mulberry to a bright red! Other than that he looks pretty good, has five toes on each foot and everything. The pictures are of the pair when they were 6 months old. Constructive criticism is welcome!

IMG_20220315_122819.jpg
IMG_20220315_122821.jpg
IMG_20220315_123505.jpg
IMG_20220315_123511.jpg

By the way, the girl looks way worse now that she started to lay eggs. But I think she is infertile.

The paint girl needs more cushion and a higher tail with wings less high on her back. Needs more breast. Other than the red comb, the male looks pretty good but his wings should be higher and he needs to be more balanced—maybe with a longer back.

The skin color would disqualify the bird depending upon whether the judge considers that to be “bright red” or not. Either way, it wouldn’t place well.

Can you look at this next silkie?
She is 4 months old in these photos.View attachment 3199649View attachment 3199650View attachment 3199652
Her tail carriage is too low and her neck is too arched. Nice breast on her, though. It's possible she is sitting like that because she can't see. A judge once told me: Silkies and Polish crouch when they are unaware of their surroundings. Keep the nice, round crest but pluck the feathers around their eyes so they can see and they will begin to show and pose.

Back
Top Bottom