Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Pics
We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
We lost all or chickens last year, apparently a raccoon found a way into the enclosed space. We just started over , reinforced the coop.,

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
I appreciate the check in. I've been away from home and my chicks for college for about 3 years now but my parents send me updates and the flock is doing well and laying more eggs than they can eat!

Hi!
We now have 12 lovely ducks, 2 Pekins and 10 Muscovy’s. We have a new mommy who’s sitting on 8 eggs and doing well.
It was a hard winter keeping up with the heat lamps and making sure they were all warm enough.
Our boy Franklin (who has scoliosis) is doing well and is never picked on. He looks so uncomfortable but seems happy and well!
We are very concerned about our male Pekin, he lost his mate and has been going downhill and won’t bathe. He looks terrible and has sores and his feathers are a mess.
We are terribly worried!
I just posted a thread about him and enclosed pictures but only got one response.
I think we are losing him..

Hello! I’m here just busy and thankfully haven’t had a new issues with the flock. Currently trying to break a young broody buff orpington. Fingers crossed today is the last day in the crate!

Hi Nifty,
More storms coming today, so not much time to visit, but thank you for asking! My girls are credited with the 'beaks-up' notice the last time we got 1 1/2" hail stones (and we put friends' vehicles in the barn with my ponies). They layed VERY few eggs that day, so I put the word out... My girls are great weather tellers!

Anyway, here they are on a better day...🐔❤❤😊🙏🙏

Attachments

• 20240401_165330.jpg
    20240401_165330.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 3

A lot has happened since my last post! We had a little issue with the town we live in. The person in charge of animal control / animal ordinances was very lax. It is a slightly more rural suburban town. Unfortunately that gentleman passed and a new person was placed in charge who were enforcing rules that no one knew existed... 6 hen max with a minimum of 1/2 an acre. The lot size we were fine but we had way more than 6 plus (also had a roo). We also added goats to our mini farm. So the situation was kind of a mess. We were in the process of looking for a new home for people reasons and could not find a lot big enough to allow us to apply for a livestock permit (for 6 or more chickens or other animals!) without spending a literal million dollars. We ended up finding the most perfect house and property one town over at a fraction of what it would have been to stay in town. Had a nice ranch fence put in and working on our set up. We actually applied to be licensed as a farm so all the way around we are in a good spot. Planting apple trees soon! Here are the animals all in their own areas
Screenshot_20240426_214639_Vivint.jpg

That would be me - I became an accidental Back Yard Chicken Peep a year ago when I moved to a small rural subdivision outside if Medellin, Colombia with a flock of semi-feral free range hens that ranged the 9 lots in our subdivision. They have brought lots of joy and heartbreak and lots of learning. We now have Juanito, who we rescued when mama abandoned him, the only brown chick in a flock 9, all the rest black. We haven’t figured out how to tell him he’s a chicken! Until we can build him a proper roosting house outside he roosts on our TV. This week he is learning how to crow!

There are two broody hens who come by daily, we expect upwards of 30 chicks to hatch next week.

Attachments

• IMG_2473.jpeg
    IMG_2473.jpeg
    659.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2475.jpeg
    IMG_2475.jpeg
    834.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5934.jpeg
    IMG_5934.jpeg
    552 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Getting the chickens planted ready to grow…..🤣 every year these ladies decide a plant pot is the best dirt bath
IMG_7496.jpeg

Hello, sadly my sweet friendly ducks are gone. There is a new duck who occasionally flies in and yesterday she was here and has a bad foot and was limping just terrible. I almost can't take the emotional stress of seeing these creatures suffer......I know, I know, a big part of life and discussed so often on the forum. Been thinking of getting some quail, it's just SO HOT down here all the time and so many raccoons. I have a lot of reading to do! It's so frustrating, my grandparents had chickens/ducks/guinea hens on the farm in the rural Dakotas and they never did anything special for them and they roamed freely etc and they were just fine. I wonder have things changed that much or do we overthink everything. I'm really not sure. Take care all!

Back
Top Bottom