Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

I'm still alive!
I'm down to 17 birds at the moment, been busy working on the fruit farm so I don't have time to babysit an incubator this year.

My Black australorp rooster of 8 years went to roost in the sky, but his son lives on.

(also it turns out when you mix a black australorp and a Colombian rock you get this beast)View attachment 3813418
Welcome back! Sorry to hear of the passing of your rooster, but glad you have his handsome son. He is a lovely beast!

I may not come here visibly, but I am always using the resources and advice from posts. My sister in another province also joined because of how much I raved about the community.

We have a happy family of 18 Muskovy ducks to complement our crazy hen house of 21 and counting. Newbies came in a few weeks ago and it was a flawless integration. Some really fun personalities this time around. More to come next month and then again in the summer. I decided to go with some fancy gals this time around, so I'm excited about that.

So when I'm not fielding management complaints from "Karen" (below), or not carrying rescued kittens around in my bra, I enjoy "spilling the tea" with my roo, Steve Martin, when he comes in for his spa days. (Counting down the days until my mudroom is finished so that animal procedures are no longer performed in my kitchen sink!)
What's your sister's username?

It's been a crazy time working and trying to survive. Hoping to slow down a bit and get back into some relaxation with the chicks very soon.
Welcome back and thanks for checking in. Hopefully work will get less crazy and allow to to spend some time with your chickens. Keep us posted!

Well hello everyone. Yes I've been away for a long time. Where do I start OMG?
In December 2017 my parents were in a bad accident. Although they had many health concerns they were very stable and very independent. The accident started their decline. My fathers was under control for kidney and congested heart failure both connected issues.His health deteriorated and from Dec 2017 until I retired in December 2019 I had him to the hospital 23 times. Sometimes by ambulance. His stays were everything from many hours in ER to 3, 5, 6, 10-14 days until they got his congested heart failure (fluids) under control. I really wanted to wait until 2020 to retire but they needed me.
In 2020 Dad and I had many more trips to the ER and Dr appointments, dad's kidneys stopped working and he had to start Dialysis. We had to sell their home and liquidate everything they gathered over 65 years of marriage. We moved them into an apartment.
March 2021 Dad ended up with 2 stents and a pacemaker defibrillator. September 2021 Dad broke his hip got home for 5 days and broke it again. He left the hospital Dec 23/2021. Dialysis 2-3 times a week depending how he felt was his life.
2022 was more of the same. We were fortunate and thankful they qualified for in home care with cleaning etc. Our Provincial Medical Care was fantastic. Several times a month Extramural nursing and Physio visited them to meet their needs.
2023 was the beginning of the end First my mother was diagnosed with poor circulation and was ready to loose her leg but her Vascular surgeon opened up the circulation and all her open leg wounds cleared up after many months.
A month later dad was afflicted with the very same thing. On June 14/2023 he entered the ER where a CT scan revealed the blockages in his leg and sadly Liver cancer. To shorten this story after months of suffering with open wounds on his legs, catching Covid in the hospital and beating it I held a bed pan for him while he vomited for 3 days. On Thursday evening and Friday morning September 28&29/2023 My wife held his had all night while I went home to sleep, My wife called me and told me You father says he is dying today and he wants for here to tell you. We had great conversation I listened to his every word. I even recorded videos of his last bits of wisdom. He went to palliative care after assuring everyone who would listen he was done and was dying today! He passed away on September 30/2023. He is missed by all.
Backing up to April 2023 my mother and father were deemed by their medical providers to require nursing care 24 hours. August 14/2023 a room in their first choice home became available but sadly Dad was in the hospital and was never able to join his wife of 69 years. Mother came down with Covid(we did not know) in the nursing home we took her to see dad the night before and the day he passed. Unwittingly mother passed Covid to my wife, myself and my sister In-law and my sister. We couldn't attend the funeral, Thankfully 4 of my siblings were there from out of town. My sister and I watched from the car at the cemetery.
Mom was settling in to the nursing home routine and we took her on outings to appointments shopping and lunches. She missed her man but couldn't go to the cemetery. Mom was taken to the ER and with a infection and Pneumonia and died 10 days later on March 14/2024. I believe it was 166 days they were apart but now are together again.
If it sounds I was living in a dream it was more of a nightmare but I have no regrets, I did everything a son could have done. Remember if you love someone TELL THEM! If you've done something you regret make it right.

So whats good in my life everything I have 2 beautiful Granddaughters that make me smile. I have a over wintered my first honey bee hive and I'm about to make some splits from it. Woohoo yesterday I picked up 6 Bovan brown pullets, what's not to love about that?
I say thank you for reaching out with this post. Your timing is spot on.
Wow, you've really been through a TON over these past few years. It's incredibly moving to hear how devoted you were to your parents during such challenging times, and I'm so sorry for your losses. :(

Glad to hear youre finding joy in your granddaughters and new hobbies like beekeeping and expanding your flock.

Thank you for sharing your story with such openness! I love how BYC provides a space for peeps to share!

Here's to more smiles and new beginnings.

Well....
I know it's been ages. I don't have any birds right now. My husband died suddenly in 2012, and I had a house fire 8 months later. Much happened in the aftermath of that, it took a private adjuster to get the insurance people to pay what was right.
I now live about 500 miles away on a 300+ acre farm in Southeastern WV. I have horses in my back yard, acres of woodland to forage and the neighbors cattle (plus a few pet cows of my own) on about 160 acres of pasture.
It's lovely here. I hatched and raised ducks and geese for my neighbors 2 years ago, but those birds went on to their new homes and I have to admit it was a relief.
Before I can get birds of my own, I will have to arrange some way to keep them safe from predators. We have eagles and hawks, plus coyotes. I loved raising the little ducks, they seemed to be a little more pet-like than the chickens I'd always had.
My original membership here was trying to get help for some wild duckings that lots their mother. All of those grew up and were released so many years ago!
Glad to see folks are still here, you were all a great help and the info here was an enormous resource!
Chris in WV
When you are ready for ducks let me know...one of my good friends lives near you and she breed call ducks. Or contact her: @WVduckchick

I have 20 hens- ISA browns, barred rocks, Americanas & Easter eggers. 2 runs, one being a hoop coop. Spoil them with crumbles, treat mix of sunflower seeds, oats & corn that I sprout, and most recently a little black soldier fly larvae. In Georgia getting about 9-10 eggs a day. Try to let them out briefly end of day, always at the risk of predator attack.
IMG_4633.jpeg
Welcome back and thanks for the picture and update. Your hens do sound spoiled. :love Which of the treats do they like best?

Oh boy it's been awhile! Our flock of "covid" chickens has changed with only one of the OG girls still going at 4 years old. One girl acts like we're always trying to sell her something and keeps away from us😂
Welcome back! My flock has changed a lot since Covid too. Isn't funny how some hens are super friendly and some are standoffish?

Thanks for checking in and giving us an update.

I have been very busy. I'm glad you understand. Everything here has been healthy and wonderful and no concerns as of now. Thank you for reaching out. I really appreciate the backyard Chicken village. The five cats and two dogs and 23 chickens are getting along
Loving these pics!!!

It's great to hear that everything is going well with your bunch! Sounds like a full house with all them animals all getting along.

Thanks for the nice note about our wonderful BYC community!

Keep enjoying the harmony and don't hesitate to reach out if you ever have stories or questions. We love hearing from you!

Back
Top Bottom