Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

I wondered where the Polish expert went, but I hoped the reason you were gone for a while wasn't that bad. I'm so sorry you lost a lot of your birds. :hugs I can't even imagine the heartache you went through, and I sympathize greatly.

I hope you do come around again once in a while, but I completely understand if you don't. Again, I'm so sorry for all you went through.
I figured there are a lot of polish chicks this spring that need sexing and Id be doing the human race a disservice if I stayed on the sidelines 🤣

Oh trust me. I miss my babies. I went into tractor supply the other day and they had bantam chick's and ducks. I wanted to sit in the middle of them
The chick fever gets to me too, especially right now. I have a broody hen and really, really want to hatch chicks, but I don't want to deal with the roosters I'll inevitably get. Plus I don't really need any more chickens... :p

It has been a while since I posted, but I do read through the posts quite a bit. There is such a wealth of information here and I'm a noob so I mostly keep my comments to myself. LOL.

I have 6 chicks in the brooder and will be building a new coop this summer (one where I can access the eggs without walking through the run and inevitably stepping in chicken poop!). The chicks are just over 4 weeks old so stay tuned for more photos as I would love some help with sexing them again this year. I'll will post some photos of my coop build as well. In the mean time enjoy the one photo I have of them settling down for a nap where most are in focus (usually half of them are a blur of motion in group photos).

Cheers!
20240422_181309.jpg

Last edited:
I figured there are a lot of polish chicks this spring that need sexing and Id be doing the human race a disservice if I stayed on the sidelines 🤣
You've already missed out on a lot, and we had to do the best we could. I think the most common answer anyone gave was "wait and see." :gig

It has been a while since I posted, but I do read through the posts quite a bit. There is such a wealth of information here and I'm a noob so I mostly keep my comments to myself. LOL.

I have 6 chicks in the brooder and will be building a new coop this summer (one where I can access the eggs without walking through the run and inevitably stepping in chicken poop!). The chicks are just over 4 weeks old so stay tuned for photos as I would love some help with sexing them again this year. I'll will post some photos of my coop build as well.

Cheers!
It is good to see you back!

I can't wait to see the photos!

I have 6 chicks in the brooder and will be building a new coop this summer (one where I can access the eggs without walking through the run and inevitably stepping in chicken poop!). The chicks are just over 4 weeks old so stay tuned for more photos as I would love some help with sexing them again this year. I'll will post some photos of my coop build as well. In the mean time enjoy the one photo I have of them settling down for a nap where most are in focus (usually half of them are a blur of motion in group photos).

Cheers!View attachment 3816150
Congratulations on the new chickies!

Wow, eight eggs a day! That's a solid reason to expand the flock. How many more are you thinking of adding to your crew? Looking forward to hearing all about the new additions!

I have some Wyandotte eggs that are presently half way incubated.

A couple of days ago I got up for a leak about 2 in the morning and discovered the incubator was cold and the eggs were cold to touch, it was the AC DC adapter that was faulty.
I lost 5 eggs that I know of, the rest are developing but whether they will hatch or not is debatable. The only reason I used an incubator is that I only have two spare broodies which are Miniature OLD English Game Bantams and can only cover four big eggs. Needless to say the eggs I gave them are doing perfectly. I expect I will end up with the chickens I need.

I have spent the last few days working my butt off on a new chicken shed, I only finished it today, take a butchers !

Attachments

• IMG_6098.JPG
    IMG_6098.JPG
    883.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6099.JPG
    IMG_6099.JPG
    575 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6102.JPG
    IMG_6102.JPG
    502.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6107.JPG
    IMG_6107.JPG
    473.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6108.JPG
    IMG_6108.JPG
    514.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6109.JPG
    IMG_6109.JPG
    482.4 KB · Views: 3
It has been months since I have been on here, I think probably about 6 months, and I had countless messages asking where I was. Figured I post once here and refer folks to it.

We went on a 2 day trip and had a relative come over and tend to the chickens, quails, goats, pigs, etc for the time we were gone. We avoid trips for this reason - it is a lot to ask someone to take care of.

To make a really devastating, long story short, this person neglected to come over on the evening of the second night to close the animals and the front gate to the property. This allowed what looked to be 6 to 8 coyotes (cameras) into the property who killed almost everything but the pigs and some adult goats. There were a few chickens who safely hid in the trees, and we had our polishes in a different area, but we had over 80 chickens killed and their bodies left scattered across the property - mostly uneaten.

Anyway, it was emotionally the worst period of time I have experienced in a long time. We have rebuilt quite a bit to this point, but still missing a lot of animals that we loved dearly. It was hard to think about getting on here and posting.

But, im excited to be back here with my BYC friends and talking some chicks with spring in full bloom. I hope you are all doing well.
I am so sorry. That would devastate anyone.

I have some Wyandotte eggs that are presently half way incubated.

A couple of days ago I got up for a leak about 2 in the morning and discovered the incubator was cold and the eggs were cold to touch, it was the AC DC adapter that was faulty.
I lost 5 eggs that I know of, the rest are developing but whether they will hatch or not is debatable. The only reason I used an incubator is that I only have two spare broodies which are Miniature OLD English Game Bantams and can only cover four big eggs. Needless to say the eggs I gave them are doing perfectly. I expect I will end up with the chickens I need.

I have spent the last few days working my butt off on a new chicken shed, I only finished it today, take a butchers !
Beautiful shed! Good luck with your eggs.

Back
Top Bottom