Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Hi again! We are doing well. I have been a very busy chicken mama!we did lose two of my favorite girls last year. But we also have been raising broilers for my daughter to show. Other than that we have a happy healthy flock and stay busy! Hope everyone else is doing well!
It is nice to read that you are getting into borilers!

Are your daughters in FFA or 4-H?

Hello-I received an invitation to post,so I will start off with some sad news-and happy news.First,on the 2nd of April,my little 16-year-old bantam black cochin rooster died of heart failure,after his last meal.He had a heart murmur for the last 6 years or so,but was still quite active and feisty,until about a month before his death.He was the oldest chicken I had to date,outliving my 15-year-old partridge cochin hen(full size),my 14-1/2 year old brown leghorn,and my 13 year-old golden sebright.He had just celebrated his 16th birthday right before he left.He will be sorely missed.
I also lost my pal Jerry 2 months ago from a sudden heart attack as well.I had rescued a pair of red sex-link roosters,Tom and Jerry from some people who could not keep them--because these two "naughty boys" would not leave the geese and ducks alone!They were quite a pair,a comedy team that lived up to their cartoon character names!I got them home,and-true-to-form,they were in hot pursuit of my geese! But they were a friendly pair,and instead of wanting to be with the other chickens--they followed me around the shop in my barn! Now,I just have Tommy,who has found friendship(sorta) with one of my Americauna roosters,but it's just not the same without Jerry.He was the real life-of-the-party.
On the good side,I just acquired some new chicks from the feed store for the first time in several years.Last year,after I had moved to a much better location with a fixed-up barn,there was one baby that was born after my feisty little mixed-breed bantam boy bred with one of my red-star hens.My baby girl just turned one year old this last April 6th,and is doing well,just a bit on the small side,though,after a bit of a rocky start.One of my new chicks this year,turned out to be a very rare breed Svart Hona hen--and she is growing very large,very fast!About a third bigger than the other "girls" she is with.I would like to get more Brahmas,they are my favorite.
Sorry to hear about your losses... especially your buddy Jerry :(

Glad to hear you've got some new chicks! It can be SUPER surprising how quickly they grow, right?!?!?

Keep us posted with pics and updates!

Not too much good news. I live in the center of town but am surrounded by groups of trees. First lost 6 chicks to a puppy that I had adopted from Mayfield animal shelter. Had to return her. She was a chi/terrier. then something killed my rooster boy who was left from the second group that Peanut killed. Left his girlfriend alone and was such a loner. My 7 grown girls picked on her. My 7 goofballs slept on top of the coop instead of in the coop. Then I lost 3 more girls. During this time, last month I trapped a racoon and then an opossum. the racoon after Darcy from the animal pound took it to a vet found that the racoon had Parvo. So, now I have 10 babies that are about 3 weeks old and 2 baby ducks. So i have 4 I hope girl ducks, not sure, so far no curly tails. Oh and as it gets dark I have to go out and grab each of my 6 remaining girls and throw them into the coop and lock them up. My 4 4month old duck girls do not seem to be bothered, yet they sleep outside huddled together.
Oh no, it sounds like you've really been through a lot with your flock! Dealing with predators and mischievous puppies can be challenging, especially in a town setting like yours.

As I posted a few posts above... racoons are the WORSTE! Trapping the raccoon and opossum must have been tough, but it's good you're being proactive.

Please keep us posted with more details... and pics!!!

Hi. I have one HUGE Aseel rooster, a Sumatra hen, and an Aseel/Sumatran cross hen. 3 birds, and the Aseel/Sumatran hen is brooding!! I have not counted her eggs ;) I am in Phoenix, Arizona, USA. I bought the Aseel a few years ago from a local breeder. The hen is from Cackle Hatchery (who has extremely good birds, in case you've never used them I highly recommend)
Thanks for posting those great pics, and for the updates!!!

Yup, Cackle is a great breeder!

Nice to see everyone's updates! I have a closed flock now due to Marek's Disease. I still have a group of over 50 hens and roos, ranging from 2-4 years of age. I have learned to deal with the occasional losses by focusing on keeping them happy and living their best chicken lives for as long as possible!

Nice to see everyone's updates! I have a closed flock now due to Marek's Disease. I still have a group of over 50 hens and roos, ranging from 2-4 years of age. I have learned to deal with the occasional losses by focusing on keeping them happy and living their best chicken lives for as long as possible!
Thanks for the update!

Mareks can be a tough one. Did you lose very many chickens from it?

Back
Top Bottom