Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Greetings all ! Moved from the country to the city , the French side of the river in Canada’s capital city of Ottawa. Luckily they have a bylaw here that allows for 5 hens ! Had a tough winter in 2023 , first I suddenly lost my favourite lady to egg bind and then a couple of my girls Got sick and slowly passed regardless of my many efforts. Before that I had almost felt invincible using this forum and it’s information to help with healing and protection of my ladies so these deaths were a real blow to my confidence . I managed to keep 3 of my other girls safe and healthy so that helped get my passion back and I am now finally feeling ready to start over with some baby chicks. My first time starting from chick so wish me luck! ( I had to isolate the runt since the others had nearly taken out her eye)
So sorry for your losses but congrats on the move and the new chicks!!!’

Sadly my chickens Jah, Hetty and Betty all got got by the fox. I was using one of those electronic light sensor doors and they got shut out and the fox chewed straight through the wire (medium gauge too, not the cheap stuff). That was a year ago and I’ve still not got my head round reinforcing and repopulating my run… I wonder if I ever will.
I’m so sorry. :hugs

Oh, were to start - I am starting over because of a stray dog who somehow made it into my coop and killed every chicken except one who was hurt really bad. Three were roaming in the yard and were not attacked. So to those 4 ladies I have added 11 chicks which are today 5 weeks old. I will be releasing them into the coop most likely next week. They are all feathered out and have so much fun when I allow them a few minutes out of their area. My beautiful Rooster did not make it so I will just have my gals this time around. Thanks for remembering me and asking about what is going on with my girls.

Oh, were to start - I am starting over because of a stray dog who somehow made it into my coop and killed every chicken except one who was hurt really bad. Three were roaming in the yard and were not attacked. So to those 4 ladies I have added 11 chicks which are today 5 weeks old. I will be releasing them into the coop most likely next week. They are all feathered out and have so much fun when I allow them a few minutes out of their area. My beautiful Rooster did not make it so I will just have my gals this time around. Thanks for remembering me and asking about what is going on with my girls.
Welcome back! Sorry for your loss!
:hugs

Oh goodness it's been a while. Our chickens grew out of their awkward teenager phase, and the one I was afraid was going to be a rooster is indeed a hen. They are 2 years old now and laying pretty well still, plus we let them out for a few hours a day and they are excellent at keeping the local tick population down.

Front to back in the picture we have Big Girl, Dunny, Red & Janet. Big Girl and Dunny are Austrolorps, and Red and Janet are SLWs. Big Girl is the ruler of the coop while Dunny is lowest on the pecking order and gets bullied by Janet a bit. Honestly Dunny just is not that bright and doesn't realize that she is bigger than Janet and doesn't need to take it.

We had just had a fenced in run with t-posts and chicken wire, but we decided to do them something a bit nicer with a roof since they hate the rain and snow, so we built them this lovely run. Yes, I know the chicken wire doesn't go all the way up. No, we haven't had any issues with predators or rodents. This season I'm working on training grape vines up to grow along the top headers.

Debating what to do when the girls slow down their laying, and if we want to refresh the flock when that happens, and if so how to do it. Only one of them has gone broody (Big Girl) and she was pretty easy to break out of it, so I don't know that fertilized eggs wouldn't be abandoned. I also don't know that we would want another 4 (2 would probably do), the minimum purchase of chickens in the state.

Anyways, there is the update. Have fun chicken tenders!
View attachment 3812128View attachment 3812134
Welcome and thanks for the update & pictures. Your hens are beautiful and your run is gorgeous! It looks well made and I love the clear roof. I bet the hens love the extra sun too.

Back
Top Bottom