Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Hi yes I'm still a crazy chicken/duck/goose lady 🐔😵‍💫 😂😂! I've got 20 hens and a cockerel currently and I'm incubating duck eggs.. They'll be hatching in a week or so (I hope!! 🤞). Hi to everyone 👋☺️☺️

Attachments

• 20240510_203030.jpg
    20240510_203030.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240513-074421_Amazon Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240513-074421_Amazon Photos.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 1
We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Hello again after a very long break. I lost touch with BYC after our last ex-batt passed away 😢. We didn't get any more hens for a couple of years- especially during the pandemic. Then my husband decided ot would be good to get more & have fresh eggs again, so now we have 3 beautiful Black Rock girls - a breed quite common here in Ireland. Do you know them in USA? They are normally good layers, but atm we're getting about 1 - 2 a week. I love their cheeky wee personalities though & how they always run to meet me!
I'm so glad you connected with me again, and hope to hear from you again. I loved reading other keepers' stories & tips. With very best wishes from rural County Down,
ChickenBarbara

I've been around for a bit, and still clucking. We had a couple setbacks (bears, foxes, weasels, hawk, and even raven attacks) but still going strong. We keep reinforcing and improving the coop. Lights, cameras, electrification and a fully reinforced run with 100% coverage. We're constantly eating and sharing our eggs with family and friends. Currently have 18 chickens (15 hens and 3 roosters, who were supposed to be hens). The roosters get along fairly well and keep a close eye on their ladies, alerting and making sure no one is foraging alone.

Hi everyone ~ just checking In. Busy working, have a new grandbaby, Aurora Jane, who just turned 9 months on the 10th of May. Been traveling to a couple of different McDonald stores that are owned by DP&K. My main store is still Fort Atkinson however, I so spend alot of time at the Whitewater Store, especially on Sunday and Monday nights and they threw me a curveball and I end up in Watertown, on occasion. Whitewater is my Original store and the GM and his wife are just getting into chickens. I will be 62 in a couple months and when my last 2 are gone (Flash is an easter egger and Zombie chick is an Austrolorpe). I am done, too many medical issues are building up. I am not suppose to have chickens here but when I moved in, neighbors had some but they were not suppose to have them either. I have given all my stuff for starting baby chicks to my boss at the Whitewater Store and tons of egg cartons.

Hi yes I'm still a crazy chicken/duck/goose lady 🐔😵‍💫 😂😂! I've got 20 hens and a cockerel currently and I'm incubating duck eggs.. They'll be hatching in a week or so (I hope!! 🤞). Hi to everyone 👋☺️☺️
It is nice to hear from you!

I love the picture and the girls are very excited!

Hello again after a very long break. I lost touch with BYC after our last ex-batt passed away 😢. We didn't get any more hens for a couple of years- especially during the pandemic. Then my husband decided ot would be good to get more & have fresh eggs again, so now we have 3 beautiful Black Rock girls - a breed quite common here in Ireland. Do you know them in USA? They are normally good layers, but atm we're getting about 1 - 2 a week. I love their cheeky wee personalities though & how they always run to meet me!
I'm so glad you connected with me again, and hope to hear from you again. I loved reading other keepers' stories & tips. With very best wishes from rural County Down,
ChickenBarbara
Hens are odd that way! When I had 5 Blue egg layers, they stopped laying egg one spring Until mid summer! The other hens were laying fine an none of the usual culprits were a problem, Worms, lice mites diet, illness and etc.

They started up again and kept laying through the winter. They were two or three years old then.

Black Rock chickens sound like a good breed!

Got 6 big healthy girls working hard for the family and enjoying lots of new grass and life from all the rain we have been getting. Since we made Ft Knocks we have not had any issues with Raccoons. Just getting our gardening on.
Thanks for the update!

Congratulations on building a predator proof coop! Do you have a coop build article for it in the learning center? Other could benefit from you experience and build technique for predator proofing a coop.

I've been around for a bit, and still clucking. We had a couple setbacks (bears, foxes, weasels, hawk, and even raven attacks) but still going strong. We keep reinforcing and improving the coop. Lights, cameras, electrification and a fully reinforced run with 100% coverage. We're constantly eating and sharing our eggs with family and friends. Currently have 18 chickens (15 hens and 3 roosters, who were supposed to be hens). The roosters get along fairly well and keep a close eye on their ladies, alerting and making sure no one is foraging alone.
It is nice to see you back! It sounds like you have some big and hungry predators!

We do have raccoons here but none of the others in our City.

Hi everyone ~ just checking In. Busy working, have a new grandbaby, Aurora Jane, who just turned 9 months on the 10th of May. Been traveling to a couple of different McDonald stores that are owned by DP&K. My main store is still Fort Atkinson however, I so spend alot of time at the Whitewater Store, especially on Sunday and Monday nights and they threw me a curveball and I end up in Watertown, on occasion. Whitewater is my Original store and the GM and his wife are just getting into chickens. I will be 62 in a couple months and when my last 2 are gone (Flash is an easter egger and Zombie chick is an Austrolorpe). I am done, too many medical issues are building up. I am not suppose to have chickens here but when I moved in, neighbors had some but they were not suppose to have them either. I have given all my stuff for starting baby chicks to my boss at the Whitewater Store and tons of egg cartons.
I do understand how hard it can be to take care of the girls when one gets older.

I am 64 and still hanging in. I will need to get a knee replacement in the future but so far so good...If a bit painful.

Back
Top Bottom