Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Hi guys!!!

Sorry I've been away and it's taken me so long to reply to @Nifty-Chicken 's kind request! We are here, still chickening away! We did re-home our dicks sadly, but it's made our chores quite a bit easier only having one kind of bird to care for. We also lost our big white dog, which is very sad. He was just 8.

Our big, beautiful rooster is still happy as a clam, and getting ready to be a papa soon, we hope! We had a health scare with my Sydney, that thankfully she seems to be through. I picked up a couple Kebonixs incubators, and I'm getting ready to reset my mini fridge up so I can store about a max of 10 eggs to set at a time.

Hopefully you'll see me on the hatching threads soon! ❤️❤️❤️

Hi guys!!!

Sorry I've been away and it's taken me so long to reply to @Nifty-Chicken 's kind request! We are here, still chickening away! We did re-home our dicks sadly, but it's made our chores quite a bit easier only having one kind of bird to care for. We also lost our big white dog, which is very sad. He was just 8.

Our big, beautiful rooster is still happy as a clam, and getting ready to be a papa soon, we hope! We had a health scare with my Sydney, that thankfully she seems to be through. I picked up a couple Kebonixs incubators, and I'm getting ready to reset my mini fridge up so I can store about a max of 10 eggs to set at a time.

Welcome back and thanks for posting! Sorry about you having to rehome your ducks. At least to me, chickens are way easier/simpler to raise. Hatching is always fun. Congrats to your soon-to-be daddy roo!

Hi guys!!!

I am sorry that you lost your dog!

It sounds like you have a good plan for getting more flock members and having only one breed does make things easier for sure.

I am looking forward to seeing you on the hatching threads!

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
It’s been a bit since I’ve been on. Actually yesterday I posted for the first time in over a year. It’s been busy here at Lilley Landing (our home on the lake!). We originally had 2 Rouen ducks that free range and they started staying out day and night with a wild mallard in the winter if 2022. I worried about them so much but because they can fly, there was no way to catch and bring them in for the night. They made it through the winter and then one of them, Dally, started sitting on a nest of 13 eggs in our neighbor’s wood pile. We set up chicken wire over her and left a light on near her at night to deter any predators. Our other duck, Dilly, disappeared at the same time and we hoped she was also nesting somewhere but unfortunately we never saw her again. Dally sat on her eggs but got off of them for too long during the first couple of weeks. She sat religiously for the last two weeks but in the end, all the eggs were not good. None appeared to be fertile. So at day 31 we had to pick her up and bring her to the duck pen. We didn’t want her to be alone so we got 3 more ducks - khaki Campbell and pekin mixes - Daisy, Ruby, and Maggie. They all free range, staying in the lake all day and then back to their pen for the night. Also - all of our girls fly! And they are big ducks! They fly from their pen all the way to the lake, at least 200 feet, every morning. Then they don’t fly again unless startled by something. They waddle home each evening- and sometimes earlier for a snack and then back out until dusk. But when Fall rolled around, the wild mallard came back and Dally started staying out with him again. They would come to the shore and I would feed them. Then later, Dally just started visiting the pen in the later afternoon to eat and then back out with her boy (we call him Daffy). When spring arrived this year, another mallard showed up and we assumed mating was occurring. Daisy, Ruby, and Maggie have been laying eggs daily since last October. We gather them every morning and either eat them, sell them, or give them away. So I wasn’t sure how to go about letting the girls nest. But one morning when I went to gather eggs, they were completely covered so I started leaving them. After a couple of weeks, Ruby started sitting. Then Daisy started sitting a couple of days later. Maggie hung around the pen but didn’t start sitting until a couple of weeks later. They all sit on the same pile of eggs! Well two days ago, Wednesday, the first two ducklings hatched! All three ducks take care of them but Daisy seems the most protective. Then this morning, we got a third duckling! This one seems to be attached to Maggie. They still have a ton of eggs and are still sitting on them so we’ll see if we get some more! Oh, before these girls started sitting, Dally started a nest in our gazebo. Unfortunately, she is just not a good sitter. She leaves her eggs for too long during the day. So none of her eggs have hatched. They don’t even appear to have developed at all. She’s still hanging out with her mallard but comes up to eat. I’ll probably wait a bit to introduce her to the new babies. I’m worried the mama ducks will be too protective. However if Daffy leaves again, she’ll want to come in at night. I guess I’ll figure that out when the time comes! Our little Jack Russell, Dash, has been a very good duck dog. He runs with them when they fly to the lake each morning, swims with them in the lake, and hangs out with them at their pen eating duck food and trying to be a duck! He’ll be kept out for a while now since we have new babies. And that wraps up all that’s been going on here!

You know I took like a 2-3yr break from poultry (and this community) and just did my first ever hatch in the incubator. Then I remembered how much I loved this place since I have been reading through all the threads and articles and their is so much information here! I really appreciate that this community is always here with a wealth of information, thanks guys! Another round goes in these bator's in a few more days!

Attachments

• IMG_20240517_135536_244.jpg
    IMG_20240517_135536_244.jpg
    535.9 KB · Views: 4
It’s been a bit since I’ve been on. Actually yesterday I posted for the first time in over a year. It’s been busy here at Lilley Landing (our home on the lake!). We originally had 2 Rouen ducks that free range and they started staying out day and night with a wild mallard in the winter if 2022. I worried about them so much but because they can fly, there was no way to catch and bring them in for the night. They made it through the winter and then one of them, Dally, started sitting on a nest of 13 eggs in our neighbor’s wood pile. We set up chicken wire over her and left a light on near her at night to deter any predators. Our other duck, Dilly, disappeared at the same time and we hoped she was also nesting somewhere but unfortunately we never saw her again. Dally sat on her eggs but got off of them for too long during the first couple of weeks. She sat religiously for the last two weeks but in the end, all the eggs were not good. None appeared to be fertile. So at day 31 we had to pick her up and bring her to the duck pen. We didn’t want her to be alone so we got 3 more ducks - khaki Campbell and pekin mixes - Daisy, Ruby, and Maggie. They all free range, staying in the lake all day and then back to their pen for the night. Also - all of our girls fly! And they are big ducks! They fly from their pen all the way to the lake, at least 200 feet, every morning. Then they don’t fly again unless startled by something. They waddle home each evening- and sometimes earlier for a snack and then back out until dusk. But when Fall rolled around, the wild mallard came back and Dally started staying out with him again. They would come to the shore and I would feed them. Then later, Dally just started visiting the pen in the later afternoon to eat and then back out with her boy (we call him Daffy). When spring arrived this year, another mallard showed up and we assumed mating was occurring. Daisy, Ruby, and Maggie have been laying eggs daily since last October. We gather them every morning and either eat them, sell them, or give them away. So I wasn’t sure how to go about letting the girls nest. But one morning when I went to gather eggs, they were completely covered so I started leaving them. After a couple of weeks, Ruby started sitting. Then Daisy started sitting a couple of days later. Maggie hung around the pen but didn’t start sitting until a couple of weeks later. They all sit on the same pile of eggs! Well two days ago, Wednesday, the first two ducklings hatched! All three ducks take care of them but Daisy seems the most protective. Then this morning, we got a third duckling! This one seems to be attached to Maggie. They still have a ton of eggs and are still sitting on them so we’ll see if we get some more! Oh, before these girls started sitting, Dally started a nest in our gazebo. Unfortunately, she is just not a good sitter. She leaves her eggs for too long during the day. So none of her eggs have hatched. They don’t even appear to have developed at all. She’s still hanging out with her mallard but comes up to eat. I’ll probably wait a bit to introduce her to the new babies. I’m worried the mama ducks will be too protective. However if Daffy leaves again, she’ll want to come in at night. I guess I’ll figure that out when the time comes! Our little Jack Russell, Dash, has been a very good duck dog. He runs with them when they fly to the lake each morning, swims with them in the lake, and hangs out with them at their pen eating duck food and trying to be a duck! He’ll be kept out for a while now since we have new babies. And that wraps up all that’s been going on here!
I really enjoyed reading about your Duck adventures!

Congratulations of the new ducklings!

You know I took like a 2-3yr break from poultry (and this community) and just did my first ever hatch in the incubator. Then I remembered how much I loved this place since I have been reading through all the threads and articles and their is so much information here! I really appreciate that this community is always here with a wealth of information, thanks guys! Another round goes in these bator's in a few more days!
:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpyThey are so cute!

Thanks for sharing the picture of the new babies!

Hello,

I am one of those members that has been missing around the boards.

I’m still here, and I keep chickens and quail at the moment . Last year, I made the decision to rehome my Ancona ducks because my son got into quail, and we live in an area that only allows for 12 laying hens & gamebird total. Man is my yard quiet without the random quack attacks throughout the day.

Anyways, I am in the middle of a quail hatch and so far half have hatched successfully. I’ll most likely be posting a thread in the quail section so if quail are your thing head on over 😊

Hello,

I am one of those members that has been missing around the boards.

I’m still here, and I keep chickens and quail at the moment . Last year, I made the decision to rehome my Ancona ducks because my son got into quail, and we live in an area that only allows for 12 laying hens & gamebird total. Man is my yard quiet without the random quack attacks throughout the day.

Anyways, I am in the middle of a quail hatch and so far half have hatched successfully. I’ll most likely be posting a thread in the quail section so if quail are your thing head on over 😊
It is good to see you back!

Quail are cut little things when they hatch too.

Things have been very busy here! We have some new chicks to add to our flock! We have some nuggies too! We have added a rooster to our flock and we have been enjoying Wyatt very much! We have added a small meat bird pen for our nuggies & the laying ladies have all the rest of the coop. It is so much fun being a chicken momma. I enjoy going into the coop & petting all my kids!

Attachments

• IMG_1250.jpeg
    IMG_1250.jpeg
    737.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1249.jpeg
    IMG_1249.jpeg
    790.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1252.jpeg
    IMG_1252.jpeg
    742.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1251.jpeg
    IMG_1251.jpeg