Chic grit question

That just sounds like the chick died from failure to thrive, it happens sometimes, it's nothing you did or didn't do, if you're worried about overindulgence, just offer a small amount at first. I would offer them grit though especially since they're in their coop 'cause if they eat something besides their feed - which is inevitable - and don't have grit they could get an impacted crop and potentially die if not treated. This can also happen if chicks eat a bit of their bedding and don't gave grit, there are workarounds for young chicks so they don't eat their bedding and it's up to you to decide what you prefer, but I do believe in giving grit from the start to avoid issues and I haven't had any issues from that. At that age though, they're old enough to have regular adult grit although you certainly can use up the chick grit first if you want. I would withhold oyster shells until they're 15-16 weeks old though, they don't need them yet

THIS! I gave my chicks free choice grit in a small pan on day 2 and one of the chicks ate a lot of it. Sadly, that chick passed. She wasn't as energetic or outgoing as the others from the beginning so the grit may not have been the problem, but the next chicks I raise I will follow your advice. If for no other reason than to eliminate the chance of them overeating the grit and my having to feel responsible for any deaths.
Sorry to hear about that. I agree with FrostRanger that failure to thrive was more likely the reason for the chick passing, not the grit, so don't blame yourself for it. But since grit gorging can happen sometimes I'd rather not risk it and control how much access they have until they're older and less likely to engage in gorging behavior.

Back
Top Bottom