Chic hatching with red swelling from its butt

pinoyathletics

Chirping
Jun 21, 2018
Granville, Australia
This is the second Cortunix Quail Chic this happened to. It has came out of the egg. With a red inflamed nodule hanging from under its buttocks or private areas. What is it? How does it happen and how do i deal with it?

It's most likely where the egg yolk was being absorbed. How much is hanging out? Is it bloody or is there bright yellow yolk anywhere? Keep the chick separated with a warm towel around it and apply some antibacterial medicine on the hernia-ish bump. If it starts to dry out, apply a warm damp rag or paper towel. It should eventually fall off or get absorbed back into the chick's tiny body. Good luck!

It is like a pinkish color. I cant see bright yellow yolk. i will take a photo and send you it in a moment. The chic just hatched. I just seperated it in the incubator on some dry paper towels. To prevent later hatching quail chics pecking at it. The last one had a similar condition and bled to death as other chics picked at its swelling.

What sort of anti bacterial medicine? can i get it at the chemist? Its still in the Incubator should i take it out to wrap it in the warm wet towel.

View attachment 1469689

Last edited:
P1010578.JPG
P1010578.JPG

It is like a pinkish color. I cant see bright yellow yolk. i will take a photo and send you it in a moment. The chic just hatched. I just seperated it in the incubator on some dry paper towels. To prevent later hatching quail chics pecking at it. The last one had a similar condition and bled to death as other chics picked at its swelling.

What sort of anti bacterial medicine? can i get it at the chemist? Its still in the Incubator should i take it out to wrap it in the warm wet towel.

View attachment 1469689

Any Triple Antibiotic that can be used on humans. I would not use pain relieving medicine though. Vetericyn also is a great idea. It protects the skin and promotes healing all while killing bacteria and keeping the wound hydrated. Yes, I would recommend wrapping the chick in a towel with a wet paper towel under its butt.

Outside the incubator maybe with two other chicks assuming he'll be wrapped so they can't peck. This way he won't be lonely and there will be some added warmth. Vetericyn is actually a spray that you just spray on the wounds.

Back
Top Bottom