Chicago Illinois

ShariChitown

In the Brooder
Nov 29, 2023
Hi Everyone,

I’ve been a chicken mom for almost a year. I found Edna, roaming the parking lot of a Menards. She was alone I scooped her up. Brought her home put her in a cat kennel. She laid her first egg with in a week.

I purchased babies, 2 barred rocks and 1 silky. The silky died. I was able to get another one, as I had everything I needed. So I got 2 silkies.

4th of July around her in this city is horrible. I went out to check on everyone, Edna was laying dead, a 1/4 stick wrapping next to the coop. She was a sweet girl. Then Esther had injured her leg. I relinquished her to the bird vet, she got adopted by the vet tech- now a house chicken.

So I’m down to 3 from 5.

Ooops sorry wasn’t done

Mable my silky became broody. She’s stealing eggs, lol.

The Feed store ga e me some fertilized eggs- they think, she’s sitting on them. The weather gets really cold. This is our first time doing this. How do I keep the eggs warm while I put her out to get food and water… I don’t want her to starve to death…

Hello, and welcome to BYC. A short time off the eggs to eat, drink, defecate and even dust bathe will not harm them.
Should I close the coop to ensure she gets out… a short time meaning 1/2 hour or less.. our weather is crazy from 10 degrees to 40 this week.. we have winter, polar vortex, spring summer in one day lol

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

I am so sorry for your losses. :hugs

If shes good at being broody, she will keep the eggs warm and viable. She will get off occasionally and should for food and water. Keep the feeder and water nearby so it reminds her to take care of herself. If she wants to go outside, she should be allowed, she probably wont if its too cold. Make sure her water stays unfrozen during the day. Good luck with your broody hatch!

Back
Top Bottom